engineering calculator

piscis

Is anyone here using an engineering calculator on their “Window Mobile” or “PocketPC” cell phone? I’m interested in purchasing one for my HTC Touch phone. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Thanks

In my totally biased opinion, the only calculators worthy of the moniker "engineering" are Hewlett Packard based. These generally use RPN (or Reverse Polish Notation) which is the most efficient way of entering and solving calculations. If you don't know it then there is a slight learning curve but I'm sure anyone who tries it for a week will prefer it to other methods.

There is a free version of the HP 42 calculator here:
http://thomasokken.com/free42/

You can find other HP calculator emulators here but not all will work with Windows Mobile:
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulators/

On the iPhone I mostly use Free42 (although it is not free at the App store, it's $2.99). It allows you to program equations and then lets you solve for any single unknown in the equation. So, I have equations programmed for calculating horsepower required for a pressure and flow; max velocity for trapezoidal motion; acceleration required for trapezoidal motion and cylinder forces. When you start the solver a menu pops up of the variables in the equation and you start punching in values then the corresponding variable key. To solve for the unknown you press the variable key without typing in a value.

The i41cx+ has a virtual printer so you can keep track of a chain of calculations which is neat but I got it mostly for nostalgic reasons as the 41CX was the calculator that I used throughout college and no longer have.

But, no touch screen calculator can compare to something with real buttons. Since there is no tactile feel of where the keys are, you pretty much have to focus 100% on the screen of any of these calcs to avoid input errors. With a real calculator I can be looking at the laptop screen or my chicken scratch notes at the same time I'm keying in stuff.

Lately I have been using my HP 48gII because it can solve simultaneous equations and handles the units for me unlike Free42 where I have to keep track o the units in my head.