Data Exchange (CLX and S7-300)

abwiz

I will be getting a piece of equipment with an Siemens S7-300 (CPU 319 3) platform. It will be loosely integrated (hard wired for the most part) with our equipment which has a ControlLogx platform.

I am trying to figure out the best way to send data from the CLX to the Seiemns. I am tying to syncronize the batch name on all machines. There are currently 5 different machines that will require manual entry.

I am not that familiar with Seiemens so I am not sure what options I have. Will these platforms support an Ethernet message or will I have to get a Profibus module for my CLX rack to send data.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

You could also use a Redlion HMI or if you don't need the screen you could use a DataStation Plus as a gateway between the 2 controllers.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I was thinking about going with OPC. This would be more of a software solution (rather than hardware modules or gateways) but I think it will be less expensive and will be expandable for doing things 'outside' the controllers.

Has anyone done this and any comments?

Yes, have used OPC for exchanging data.

You need an OPC client that can transfer data from server to server.
I used Inductive Automations software.
There are others, such as OPC datahub.

Since it is a PC based solution, you have to consider the usual suspects.
Good PC. UPS. Users and permissions setup to inhibit fiddling with all the settings. Have an emergency backup ready - image for quick restore - or a complet harddisk with everything installed ready to swap.