Step-7

Discal

I have been tasked with the programming of a Simodrive 611, the NCU is a PLC317-2DP. My previous programming experience is average at best (A-B, Unitronics) with no prior experience with Siemens.

On to business, I am looking for a simple one-rung solution to using a single contact push button to toggle a coil on and off. I have been able to achieve this in the past with other software but seem to be hitting a dead end with Step-7. Maybe I have just let the volume of programming elements get in the way of finding what I need; or maybe it has to be done the hard way. If anyone could be so kind as to kick me into the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sorry that I have not replied sooner; way to busy around here.

Manglemender, you are correct that this is a powerful PLC. I have a Pfauter Kapp that burned and have to completely rebuild the electrical system. The PLC317-2DP will be controlling a 6-Axis machine that has to repeat within 2tenths over distances in excess of 60”. Part of the hardware involved with the retrofit includes a touchpad with a limited number of buttons. By figuring out a way to use a single button for the on/off signal, it will save me having to purchase extra hardware and reduces the amount of wiring.

LD[AR2,P#0.0, I spent a little time trying to stream line the process and came up with the following logic.
The rung you sent me worked quite well; but I am just trying to reduce to the minimum amount of typing (I tend to be lazy). I have the Pfauter Kapp an old Lucas, two Cincinnati’s, three Bullards and a DeVlieg to retrofit. Any thing that saves me a moment is golden.

Thank you both for your input.

SBOO.JPG

If your using a Siemens HMI then you can use the "On Click" event of a button or switch and select the "ToggleBit" method from the Edit Bits group; No PLC program required.

Nick

My Appologies.. The function is called InvertBit. See below:

Probably better practice to program this as the release event rather than the Press event but you get the idea.

softkey.jpg

Last edited:
LD[AR2,P#0.0],
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discal
The rung you sent me worked quite well; .

Is this a bad choice of words or can you explain what did not work perfectly.
I would say that within the context of this conversation, yes I suppose it worked "Perfectly". Perfectly is simply a word that I choose not to use often. As cagliostro has shown below, there is almost always an alternative option. Within the criteria I asked for
simple one-rung solution
I guess this would make cagliostro’s option “More Perfect”.

Sorry,

previous code was wrong....

here the right version....

Quote:
A I 0.0
FP M 200.0
X Q 0.0
= Q 0.0
In between the time, I posted and then returned to the post to check for answers I had figured out a solution on my own. Had I read your reply sooner I would have used it. Just as I would have used cagliostro’s if I had seen it. As I had already written the logic I was not inclined to go back and change it (being exceedingly lazy as I am).

Manglemender,
To answer your question. I have a keypad that is mounted opposite side of the machine from the HMI. It will be used by maintenance to manually access certain functions. Due to the limited number of buttons on the keypad, I wanted to simplify the individual circuits to as few buttons as possible and still be able to accomplish the task.

Thank you all for the responses you have given. Being a person who is quite new and inexperienced in the Siemens world I do appreciate and value any and all insight given.