OT... Nany State EE at their 'worst'.

s'funny that, I'm sure I was there when the circus was in town, why didn't they ask the stilt-walker to change the bulbs ??

This falls in the same category as:
"I think there is a bit stuck in my PLC, can you just fix it?...... What do you mean it is going to cost me $XXXX to fix it?!?!"

Things like this seem easy to the uneducated.

Take it from someone that used to work on power lines, the cost is justified.

You may look at it as a light on a pole, but it is not to code. It was grandfathered until it needed replaced and now it must meet code.

If a light is too close to a tree, a wind storm can knock it off and send it crashing to the ground.

If it is too close to the power lines, they can short against the housing and send primary voltage into the secondary lines.

I don't tell my doctor how to perform surgery and I am not going to tell these Linemen how to do their job either!

G39 covers safe working practices. I'm not sure how you can declare if the light meets UK code or not from a photograph. It is the second pole down the street in the second picture. From the perspective of the photograph its difficult to tell how much interference the trees cause, but it looks to be clear. Seems to me a bucket truck (none in sight) would be simple and safe. But the OP was not about how to do it - it was about the nanny state. I'll bet a beer that 90% of the issue was city maintenance just didn't want to do it right then so they coughed up an excuse. Then as public pressure mounted they found themselves with a face saving dilemma brought on by the first excuse which forced them to dig in and be more intransigent or just do the work and loose face. Most likely G39 is a mere MacGuffin to the real story.

Your point is valid. But in the end, neither of us are experts on UK utility code so we are both guessing.

More importantly.... why have I never heard of MacGuffin before!!!

Awesome read, thanks for the link!

Thats just the state of things in this country. Need a full on risk assessment to do anything, or a full H&S inspection before anything can happen.

This falls in the same category as:
"I think there is a bit stuck in my PLC, can you just fix it?...... What do you mean it is going to cost me $XXXX to fix it?!?!"

Things like this seem easy to the uneducated.

Take it from someone that used to work on power lines, the cost is justified.

You may look at it as a light on a pole, but it is not to code. It was grandfathered until it needed replaced and now it must meet code.

If a light is too close to a tree, a wind storm can knock it off and send it crashing to the ground.

If it is too close to the power lines, they can short against the housing and send primary voltage into the secondary lines.

I don't tell my doctor how to perform surgery and I am not going to tell these Linemen how to do their job either!

Pretty sure those are secondary lines.

Pretty sure those are secondary lines.

In this case, I would agree. But I was just trying to make a point that rules are rules.

Besides, even secondary lines hurt. UK runs 220V so line to line voltage is 440V! That would make some sparks!

We had a person here get killed because an aluminum light pole was placed too close to a secondary power line. The frost heaved the light pole toward the power line and eventually touched.

After rubbing for awhile, there was contact. Some poor guy came along and leaned against the pole. POW! Dead.

It is hard to know where to draw the line on these rules, so people usually err on the cautious side. Which means lights like this get caught up in the rules even when they look safe.

.... Seriously? I'm laughing, but if that were my neighbourhood and it actually bothered me that much then I would either get up there and replace it myself, or hang a solar lantern from the post.

I didn't realise people were still scared of the dark :p

Outside of the America's the the commonest Voltage ratings are

220/380 Phase to N / Line to line of 3 phase star wound transformer
230/400
240/415

One having the relationship of the Sqrt of 3 to the other
= 1.732