Connect more than one HMI to a single PLC ??

mosama

Hi every one

I am using HMI from Beijer Electronics with OMRON PLC.
Is it possible to connect more than one HMI with a single PLC?

This isn't uncommon. To do this there are several options. You can have more than one comm port on the PLC, either on hte CPU or using a separate add-on communications card. You can use an RS-485 communications link and a peer to peer comm protocol (A master slave protocol like Modbuse RTU won't work.) Or you can use ethernet, which is inherrently peer to peer.

We do this with AB PLC's and standard desktop computers running Wonderware. Everything is connected via MOXA ethernet switches. I think ethernet is faster and more reliable that 485. And yes, more details would be necessary.

The other way is to read the bit in the Mitsubishi manual entitled 'Connection of Two Operator Panels in Transparent Mode'. Or chapter 18 Network communication if you prefer ethernet. But that's just me being picky.... RTFM

Bryan

Thanks every one for your help

Can you tell me what details are needed so I can answer you ??

Can you tell me what details are needed so I can answer you ??

What model plc are you using?

What model number hmi are you using?

How are you planning to connect the hmi's to the plc?
(serial, ethernet, etc.)

This will be a good start.

The Omron NTlink protocol should allow you to use multiple HMI's. If you are using Hostlink, try the pass through feature in the HMI it is exists in the model you are using.

If none of the above, use a port splitter (multiplexer). There are several companies which can offer these.

I am using omron CQM1H CPU51 and Exter T70 HMI from Beijer Electronics
I am planning to connect the HMI to the PLC through serial communication

The Omron NTlink protocol should allow you to use multiple HMI's. If you are using Hostlink, try the pass through feature in the HMI it is exists in the model you are using.

If none of the above, use a port splitter (multiplexer). There are several companies which can offer these.

Thank you I'll try this

InstantHMI from Software Horizons can run on multiple touch screens or PCs simultaneously, while connecting to the Omron PLC. Any changes made on any device will be updates across the network. www.instanthmi.com

Thanks every one

My Beijer Electronics HMI supports Ethernet network between several HMI panels, but I want to use a computer as a controller.

I decided to use MODBUS TCP/IP (or EIA/TIA-232-E, EIA-422, EIA/TIA-485-A) protocol for communication between the HMI and my computer, but what is the cable used for this communication? and its wiring if possible?

Last edited: