Texas Instruments TI530C Serial Connection

mark418

I believe I need help with the proper cable connections to allow a 9-pin serial port on a laptoop to talk to a TI 530C Processor.

I am trying to help a customer program their TI 530C Processor. I am running TISOFT 2 Release 7.1 software. I was told to use an old computer, so I have a Windows 95 laptop. When attempting to connect, I exit windows to DOS, run the TI505.BAT file to launch TISOFT, this works fine. But I get "Communications Time Out" when selecting "Online-F4".

I have tried almost every possible baud rate. I am connecting the 9-pin serial port on the laptop to the 25 pin comm port on the bottom of the TI 530C PLC. Thought the cabling was correct but I am suspicious.

Using 2-2, 3-3, 5-7. 9-pin has 1-4-6 and 7-8 internally jumpered, 25 pin has 4-5 and 6-8-20 internally jumpered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The pin connections are correct as you wrote them.

Check the .bat to verify that you are opening the correct serial port.

I believe that you can add the port suffix to the batch call like, "ti505 p1", that opens com1, same for com2. The software only allows com 1&2.

The pin connections are correct as you wrote them.

Check the .bat to verify that you are opening the correct serial port.

I believe that you can add the port suffix to the batch call like, "ti505 p1", that opens com1, same for com2. The software only allows com 1&2.

Thank you for this information. Will give it a try!

Another bit of information. Page K-4 in the manual from the link I posted adds to what WireGuy1950 said. You may also need to change the Comm Port Parity in the computer BIOS. A very fuzzy memory tells me that the parity should be 7, Odd, 1. I could be all wrong about this. Here are the possible choices for the parity. 7 or 8, Odd Even or None, 1 or 2 Stop bits. See page 2-14 for more info.

Last edited:
Another bit of information. Page K-4 in the manual from the link I posted adds to what WireGuy1950 said. You may also need to change the Comm Port Parity in the computer BIOS. A very fuzzy memory tells me that the parity should be 7, Odd, 1. I could be all wrong about this. Here are the possible choices for the parity. 7 or 8, Odd Even or None, 1 or 2 Stop bits. See page 2-14 for more info.

Thanks again, another question though. Page 2-14 describes on-line for a 575 controller (as do the adjacent pages). I have a 530C. I don't see a similar example in the manual for a 530C. I thought it does auto-detect(?). It may be different right? Also, would I change my PC comm port set up in Win95, then exit to dos? Would this be the way to configure new port settings?

As far as I know all TI processors connect the same way. The old 500 series used the 25 pin connector and the newer 505 series used the 9 pin connector.

As far as pc's go, I use XP-sp3 on my laptop which has a built in com port (IMPORTANT!) with no problems, it opens in a shell and works. I've also used it on another laptop with a broken com port but I had to make a DOS virtual machine so I could use a usb to serial adapter, but this worked as well.

I don't believe you need to change any settings in the bios or elsewhere, all that you need is to tell it which com port to use, the batch job takes care of the details.

As far as I know all TI processors connect the same way. The old 500 series used the 25 pin connector and the newer 505 series used the 9 pin connector.

As far as pc's go, I use XP-sp3 on my laptop which has a built in com port (IMPORTANT!) with no problems, it opens in a shell and works. I've also used it on another laptop with a broken com port but I had to make a DOS virtual machine so I could use a usb to serial adapter, but this worked as well.

I don't believe you need to change any settings in the bios or elsewhere, all that you need is to tell it which com port to use, the batch job takes care of the details.
Thanks much. My local rep told me I would only have luck if using an old PC with true dos on it as new machines/windows don't allow TISOFT to take over the port. I will take your recommendation and try to use a modern pc to connect. Guess I'll just run TISOFT from windows rather than exiting to a command prompt. Thanks for your time on this one!

I have been changing the parity in Windows Control Panel, then exiting Windows to DOS and testing the connection. How can I change settings in the BIOS? Is my method equivalent? Thanks!

I think I may have been wrong about the BIOS inofrmation so just disregard what I posted about that. I believe what you are doing is correct.

Texas Instrument 530C-1104

I also have a 530C-1104 ti and cannot connecto to cpu. I am using the same cable pinout
using sp windows I do not have a serial port I am using a usb to serial converter. Iam setting converter to 9600,2400,1200,300 with no luck error is comm timeout. I am connecting to the 25 pin port.:confused:

@paul62,
It's been a very long time ago so I might be wrong again. I think the old software requires either comm port 1 or 2 in the software.Try to use a DOS program like DOSBox on the computer. Try to insure the USB converter can assign either comm 1 or 2 and it is not in use by some other program like RSLinx. You might just have to find a computer with a real RS232 port somehow. Some recent models of Dell laptops might still have one. Sorry I can't be of more help. Old software and new computers don't work well with each other. Someone else may have a better suggestion.