Comm Between MicroLogix and QuickPanel JR

juanmdx

Hi,

I'm currently doing an upgrade to a press.
The press works with a QuickPanel JR 6" (programmed in QuickDesigner 3.7) and a MicroLogix 1500.

I've both softwares (RSLogix 500 and QuickDesigner 3.7) and the backup of both devices.

I've manage to understand the QuickDesigner, so now I can add screens, buttons, tags, etc., but I'm a little lost regardings how to add this tags on the MicroLogix (well, on the RSLogix 500), because the tags on the QuickDesigner are for example B35/79 or so, and on the RSLogix they are B35:0/1, so how can I state that the tag B35/0 is B35:0/0 or is it done automatically by some sort of procedure I don't know about???

I've searched the previous tags on the programs, and they do have some logic, all tags on the QuickDesigner that are on B9 are on B9 on the RSLogix, but the second digits don't quite matck... B9/54 is B9:3/6 on RSLogix, and I've counted 54 bits on the RSLogix (B9:0/0, B9:0/1 ... till they are 54 bits) and it doesn't match the B9:3/6... (and I've done this on many tags, and I'm sure the programs are OK, I just backed up a few days ago and the press is currently working).

Can anyone help me please??, if you need more info I would gladly give it.

Best Regards

The words in the Micrologix have 16 bits.
The bits in word 0 are numbered 0 - 15
If using pure bit numbering then the bits in word 1 are 16-31 etc

So bit 54 is (INT(54/16))or 3, and MOD(54/16) or 6. Thus bit 54 is B3:3/6.

While viewing in RSLogix go to 'View' - 'Properties'. Go to the 'Address Display' tab. Choose '/Bit' in the 'Binary Bit Display Mode' section. Then view the ladder or the B data table.

juanmdx said:
... but I'm a little lost regardings how to add this tags on the MicroLogix (well, on the RSLogix 500), because the tags on the QuickDesigner are for example B35/79 or so, and on the RSLogix they are B35:0/1, so how can I state that the tag B35/0 is B35:0/0 or is it done automatically by some sort of procedure I don't know about???

With A/B addressing it's critical to understand bit and word delimiters.

The colon represents a word delimiter, and the "/" represents a bit delimiter.

You can use the bit delimiter to point to any bit in a B or N file...it isn't limited to 0-15.

So, B35/79 is the same as B35:4/15

The file number is 35
The word number is 4
the bit number is 15

In RSLogix you can change the way that those addresses are displayed to match your preference. I personally prefer to use the File:Word/Bit display style in most cases.

Most HMI software will allow you to enter the address in either format, and the communication driver will accept it.

To change the way those addresses appear in RSLogix, go to the menu bar "View", "Properties", then click the Address "Display Tab" and examine those choices for I/O address display, and binary address display.

Try them out and hit Apply while you have some addresses being displayed...

Last edited:
And here is a cheat sheet that was made many years ago.
And a note from RSLogix online help also a pretty picture of the properties.

Binary Bit Display Mode
Select /Bit to display a binary bit address by bit only, for example, B3/33. Click Word/Bit to display the same address by word and bit, for example, B3:2/1.
To compute Bit number:
e.g. B3:15/5 = B3/245

(word*16)+ bit number
(15*16)+5=245

To compute word/bit

e.g. B3/254 = B3:15/5

(Bit number/16)= word (minus the remainder) Then multipy the remainder by 16 to get the bit.

245/16=15.3135 (15 is the word number)
.3125 * 16 = 5 (5 is the bit number)
B3:15/5

displayproperty.jpg

Last edited:
In Quick Designer verify that by going to Help > About you are using Version 3.70 Special 4 for best results with MicroLogix.
You can use either format for entering Tag addresses with the latest version.