Inat Echolink Remote controlling S5 PLC

jdf

Hello All,

I am looking for options for remote controlling Siemens S5 PLC’s, Inat Echolink looks promising. VPN into a local PC with Step 5 and Softnet PG installed on it and then out over Ethernet to Echolink module and then to a S5 PLC.

Has anyone had any experience of setting up and using Inat Echolink? Mainly the PC side, configuring Step 5 and Softnet PG to talk to the Echolink. Also does anyone know of remote control software that works well with DOS based programs? Have tried Dameware and VNC, but the lag was shockingly slow.

Thank you in advance

Jon

Hi JDF,

We've just got an Echolink yesterday to try. Step 5 S5 programming was no problem to get working via ethernet to the echolink and onto an S95u. The echolink comes with a program called VCOM which runs alongside the S5 software. I've only had a couple of hours on it so far but I have noticed that the comms is slower through ports 2 to 5 on the echolink compared to port 1, although I've got to investigate this yet. First impressions of the echolink so far are good, documentation seems very good also. My aim is to have S5 remote programming to any PLC from a central location, and also to replace an existing Siemens L2 network incorporating PLC to PLC comms (data blocks) and an InTouch SCADA. Looks like a few weeks of pioneering for me!

I had problems with the inat "H1 driver " being on my computer the "check point Secure client" VPN would not work untill i removed it.hopefully that is not what you are using

Hi Ixy,

Thank you for the reply. Have just ordered one up and would be very interested in how you are getting on with yours.

Jon

Hi jdf,

Just an update on the Echolink ... I've now got working the SCADA comms using InTouch and the INAT DDE Server to 2 off PLCS and Step 5 programming simultaneously. My next job is to convert the existing InTouch tags to the new INAT DDE Server format. I'm still noticing that S5 programming/monitoring is slower through ports 2 to 5 than port 1, and I keep getting timeouts. I'd be interested to know if you find a fix for this when you get yours set up. Maybe it's just a parameter or a tickbox I'm missing somewhere. Good luck and I'll keep you posted.

Ixy.

Hi jdf,

Converted the InTouch tags now, and found a fix for the slow S5 programming and status comms ..... slow down the InTouch DDE server polling rate. Have no timeouts now and S5 status pretty reliable. It seems everything can't get through the PLC programming port all at once!

Regards,
Ixy

Hi Ixy,

I have now received and set up my Echolink for remote programming for S5 PLC’s. Have not yet tried talking to SCADA yet.

I am having problems setting up the Ethernet ports. I need one to be on our process domain and one to be standalone. I can set up both ports on the domain and they work fine. If I set on of the ports up with a different sub net mask and not on the domain I can see the local connection and talk through it but cannot see the domain connection. The configuration tool can still see both ports?? Was wondering if you came across this when you were setting up your system and if so if you managed to get over it?

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

I did have a problem with the Ethernet ports in that I wanted to make both ports the same IP address or consecutive addresses, eg. 10,25,11,240 and 10,25,11,241 and use the Echolink as just a 2 port hub. One port for S5 programming and one port for the SCADA connection. Apparently, this is not possible as one of the first 3 numbers in the IP address must be different on either port, not just a difference in the last number. I exchanged a few emails with a Mr. Werner Krings at INAT who was helpful.
How are you getting on with the S5 programming/monitoring via Echolink, have you found it quick enough. I'm using Siemens STEP 5 V7.17 and don't know whether upgrading to V7.23? would be beneficial.

Regards,
Ixy.

Hi Ixy,

Thanks buddy for the pointer on IP addressing saved me a lot of time and hassle. Both ports now set up, and on the IP side of things working fine. Still having a bit of a problem setting up the second port though. The first port, on the domain, works fine. I can go on line with S5 all works OK. The second port, stand alone PC, not matter how I set the connection up will not allow S5 to go on line. Will have to play with it a bit more.

I am also using S5 V7.17 while not being lighting quick it should be up to the job. Think I have a V7.23 disk around here somewhere so may give it a go. Speed will probably become an issue for me as will be dialling in remotely for fault finding. So far Ultra VNC seems to handle S5 (DOS 16 bit) much better than DameWare. But there is still a big lag with VNC so will have a look around for other options.

Regards

Jon