A strange experience with PLC5

AB2005

Dears,

Today I have experienced a strange thing which I want to share with friends.

We have two PLC5 one (PLC5/40B) at Corrugator machine and one (PLC5/40E) at Flexo printing machine with different I/O modules in rack. I have RS Logix 5 software in the HMI PC of Flexo machine. I arranged two spare PLCs for both machines. I inserted the PLC5/40B in the slot of PLC of Flexo machine (Remember that both programs have different I/Os configuration). After communication, I download the program of Corrugator. I was assuming that during downloading, system would be in fault due to miss-matching of I/O modules but all the steps of downloading completed successfully. Then I go to online and turned the PLC to RUN mode. After that I installed that PLC at Corrugator instead of original PLC and found the operation correct.

I want to ask if it is the property of PLC or it happened accidentally as it happened with me very first time.

🍻

I was assuming that during downloading, system would be in fault due to miss-matching of I/O modules

your assumption is incorrect for a PLC-5 system ... specifically, a mismatch in the I/O modules will NOT cause a PLC-5 processor to fault ...

on the other hand, for the SLC-500 platform your assumption would have been correct ... specifically, a mismatch in the I/O modules WILL usually cause an SLC-500 processor to fault ... going further, a mismatch in the configuration for the chassis size will also cause a fault ...

and just for completeness ...

your assumption would usually have been incorrect for a ControlLogix system ... specifically, a mismatch in the I/O modules will usually NOT cause a ControlLogix processor to fault - BUT - it is possible to configure the system so that such a mismatch WILL cause a fault ...

yet another example of "one size does NOT fit all" ...

thank you for sharing your experience ...

Last edited: