PLC with SSL support

sven

I'm looking for a PLC that supports encrypted authentication and communication - along the lines of TLS/SSL. Are there any out there that do this?
We want to protect our intellectual property as best we can.

Depending on what you want to protect you have some options.

Protect the program? Most PLC will let you 'lock' the code so it can't be opened, edited, looked at w/out the passwords.

Protect the data coming out of the PLC? I've seen some modules(for rockwell plcs) that will serve the data via an interface that supports SSL/TLS.

The flip side of this, Keep in mind troubleshooting the system. If you make an electricians job hell, I wouldn't expect repeat business.

Dude TLS/SSL Encryption is only needed if you accessing the plc remotly over the internet. Is that what you are trying to do?

If so then any firewall/router combo worth it's salt will do that. 1 plc or many?

**** is a good route to go if only a few plcs. Put one in each cabinet and provide a lan connection to the internet.No firewall setup or anything. Very little IT involment.

Here is a link. http://www.****.biz/en/Products/affichage-produit.html?id=19

I'm looking for a PLC that supports encrypted authentication and communication - along the lines of TLS/SSL. Are there any out there that do this?
So you have a PLC program that no-one else can re-produce? IMHO, one needs to understand the mechanical operation to even think about using the code to replicate a machine. Mind you, it is not hard to re-produce a machine that you already have... understanding the 'smarts'that have gone into making that machine work is much more... Just my 2pesos

Boy, does this sound like an IT guy thrown into the whirlpool of automation...
Or someone that thinks they have something new to the market, that they are wanting to use a 'off the shelf device' to do the task. If it is so new, why not make it micro-processor based that can't be replicated??

Depending on what you want to protect you have some options.

Protect the program? Most PLC will let you 'lock' the code so it can't be opened, edited, looked at w/out the passwords.

Protect the data coming out of the PLC? I've seen some modules(for rockwell plcs) that will serve the data via an interface that supports SSL/TLS.
I know the CLX range has the source protection feature, this allows protection of which-ever routine/function/AOI the developer wishes

The flip side of this, Keep in mind troubleshooting the system. If you make an electricians job hell, I wouldn't expect repeat business.
For a decent OEM, there should be a HMI that would have an engineering screen/mode that would assist bubba. Saying that, there is nothing like trouble-shooting real programs, after all, it does help to see exactly what is happening. And if we're honest, how many machines are out there that explain every single fault condition, and what to look for?

Hello sven,

You can use Universal OPC Server for PLCs. It supports OPC Security which gives you control over item browsing, adding, reading, and writing - on a per-user-per-item basis:
http://www.matrikonopc.com/drivers/universal-connectivity-server/plc-plug-ins.aspx

It also supports OPC UA.

Hope this helps

Wassim Daoud