rslinx with standard wireless components

craig61

hello

I am just looking into comunicating via ethernet to my processor network using standard office wireless equipement. i am wondering if any one out there has ever using a wireless card in a laptop and remote access point to pull this off. i am at the moment trying to use belkin equipement. if any one has info on this subject could they please help.

many thanks
craig

I've never done it personally, but I know that it's possible.

Some colleagues of mine used a Netgear wireless router and a USB wireless adapter in a laptop to communicate to ControlLogix processors. So it can be done, and from what they said, it's rather easy.

Yes it works

I use wireless regularly with both ControlLogix and PLC-5. No special set-up in RSLinx required (beyond what you would do for a wired ethernet connection). I have Cisco Air-o-net.

If you can connect to it with a regular ethernet connection then you can connect to it with a wireless 802.11b or g pretty much the same way.

I use a Linksys base station and a PC Card to connect to a GE PLC that is about 50-100 feet away from the line that I am working on and across and aisle so it really isn't practical to have a cord running to it.

It's great for connecting to PLC's that are far away from where you actually need to be.