bring rslinx service back to application mode

wilsonzhu

Hi, I have a RSlink Service running in Windows 2003 server. Because of the office network update, I have to reconfigure Ethernet Drive of Rslink Service. I unchecked always run as service and change automatic to Manual mode, after I reboot the machine, I still can not configure Rslinx, Please Help.

Thanks.

Even when running as a service, you should be able to configure RSLinx without an issue. It just starts up automatically (if you have it configured that way) and is harder to close by accident.

What do you mean by you can't configure the Ethernet driver? Is the the Ethernet/IP driver or the regular Ethernet driver?

I want to change the IP address of PLC in regular Ethernet driver, but I can't see the configure window when rslinx running as a service.

Even when running as a service, you should be able to configure RSLinx without an issue. It just starts up automatically (if you have it configured that way) and is harder to close by accident.

What do you mean by you can't configure the Ethernet driver? Is the the Ethernet/IP driver or the regular Ethernet driver?

I want to change the IP address of PLC in regular Ethernet driver, but I can't see the configure window when rslinx running as a service.

Is the RSLinx Icon shown on the Taskbar? If it is, clicking it should open the RSLinx Window for you. If not, you should be able to go;

Start>>>Programs>>>Rockwell Software>>>RSLinx>>>RSLinx Classic (etc)

That should also open the RSLinx Window as well.

Do these steps not work?

Stu....

These steps didn't work.

Is the RSLinx Icon shown on the Taskbar? If it is, clicking it should open the RSLinx Window for you. If not, you should be able to go;

Start>>>Programs>>>Rockwell Software>>>RSLinx>>>RSLinx Classic (etc)

That should also open the RSLinx Window as well.

Do these steps not work?

Stu....

Firstly, I have to ask the question why the "office network update" has made it necessary to change the address of the PLC. Was it planned to do so? Or has the change come about because the PLC is using dynamic addressing?

In my opinion, a PLC should have a fixed IP address, which makes it straightforward when attempting to get online to it.

In my opinion, a PLC must have a fixed IP address, if it is involved in any communications to other IP devices, including other PLCs HMIs etc.

OK, so lets assume that the PLC address does need changing in the EtherNet driver, for whatever reason.

A standard install of RSLinx places a launch icon in the SysTray AND a desktop launch icon. A single click of the systray icon, or a double-click of the desktop icon opens the user interface to RSLinx. If this does not happen, then I would suggest you have a corrupted RSLinx installation, and you could try uninstalling/re-installing it.

Once you have the GUI open, click on "Configure Drivers" button, select your Ethernet Device driver you want to modify, change any addresses you need to change, and click on "Apply".

If you cannot do this, then again I suggest your RSLinx installation is bad.

Lastly, in all the years I have worked with RSLinx, I have never seen the need for RSLinx to be shutdown as a service, and used as an application. When not used, (i.e. no applications calling for it's services, it consumes very little PC resources.

I have not had to deal with many issues on server operating systems, so I was hesitant to reply, but generally agree with all the comments so far.

One additional thing that might be at play, is if the IP address was changed in the PLC, and now the RSLinx Ethernet devices driver needs to be edited, then it could be that RSLinx doesn't want to let go of that MAC ID to old IP address association. I had an issue with the Ethernet Devices driver not wanting to let go of its memories of a PV standard at a particular IP, but flushing the harmony files fixed it for me.

You might try shutting down RSLinx and deleting the harmony files. This is a harmless move that can often resolve issues with RSLinx. RSLinx will rebuild the harmony files when it restarts.