PVC controlled Greenhouse

northpad

Hey all, I have a organic greenhouse on my property and wish to automate it as much as I can. So, if at all possible could anyone help me figure out what I would need to buy and maybe some help walking me through the set-up.

Here is how I see the set-up looking.
Outputs need:
3 - 240v each output will have a max draw of 5 amps, on a timer
1 - 240v for water pump 0.5 amps that is on a timer
1 - 120v for exhaust fan 1 0.8 amps that is on a timer
1 - 120v for exhaust fan 2 0.8 amps that is on a timer
1 - 120v for water pump ~0.5 amps that is running full time
1 - 120v this output would be powering a water chiller
1 - 120v dehumidifier that will turn on/off to maintain humidity
1 - 120v CO2 generator
1 - 120v A/C unit 5.5 amps
1 - 120v Ph pump

There may be a need to expand the number of output, 240v and or 120v.
I have a sub-panel with a 100 amp main circuit

2 - 30 amps 240v circuits
3 - 15 amps 120v circuits
So power is not a problem.

I also need some inputs.
1 - humidity sensor
1 - room temp sensor, maybe 2 sensor that give an average temp of the greenhouse
1 - Co2 sensor
1 - water temp sensor
1 - Ph sensor
1 - Conductivity sensor
1 - water level sensor
2 - Air temp sensor

I know it may sound complex but organic farming is very time consuming. The more control I have over my environment the better. That is why I have to monitor so many things. I have it running now using cobbled together sensor, timer and plugs. I know a system like this will cost some cash, but it is an investment in my business. The reliability expandability, and versatility of a PLC makes it sound like a winner. I have looked in too some great little PLC that would make the wiring of the system rather easy.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Marke...gicControl/Relays/IntelligentRelays/index.htm

I have been looking at the 700 or 800 EZsoft Controllers from Eaton. They have a lot of input/outputs, if you get the EZ expansion mods. I know there are other way to do it but using the Eaton controllers would be simpler. In the end I need to have ability to monitor the environmental sensors in real time, with a PC. The programing will be a whole other posting, but first I need to find out what hardware I need, and all that good stuff. Well I hope to hear from someone. Thankso_Oo_Oo_O

Welcome to the forum.

I would shy away from the device in your link, mainly becuase your future needs include remote monitoring and the application is heavy on analog.

I would encourage you to look at the PLC offerings at automationdirect.com They have fast shipping, great service, lots of experienced users here on the forum, and excellent pricing.

The Click PLC is dirt cheap, but its analog offerings are quite limited at the moment, but the other DL series have an excellent reputation. I haven't used any of them, but for a home project or if I was in business for myself, that's where I'd shop.

Since your application involves relatively high currents and a mix of 120vac and 240vac, I would design the system with external relays driven by cheap DC outputs. Then if something gets overloaded, it will be a $5 relay rather than a +$150 output module.

For remote monitoring, I am becoming a huge fan of the Red Lion G3 HMI. It is rugged, extremely versatile, can log tons of data, and you can remote control it and view that data from any web browser.

Good first post by the way...

Paul