OT: Suitable place to stay in SFO

Xsailor

Hi Guys,
I will be state side for a fortnight; Redding CA for a week on Business (to buy some used machinery) and then was hoping to unwind and stay in San Francisco for a couple of days.
Can anyone recommend a safe and conveinet part of town (SFO) to book a hotel in? Idea is to do some local sight seeing (bay area, Alcatraz...the usual suspects!) and a spot of shopping for the family back home.
I have not been to CA (save those umpteen trips to LA and Port Hueneme during my sailing says but..they hardly count).

Thanks in advance
Dates: 2nd week of September.

Amit
Xsailor

It may be touristy, but the Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square areas are probably the easiest. Fisherman's Wharf is where the boats to Alcatraz leave from (make sure you get Alcatraz tickets in advance! they always sell out early and hotel concierges have a hard time getting them) and fresh seafood restaurants, and Union Square is the heart of the downtown shopping/fine dining area. The two areas are linked by the cable cars so it can be fun to travel between them.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,
I will be state side for a fortnight; Redding CA for a week on Business (to buy some used machinery) and then was hoping to unwind and stay in San Francisco for a couple of days.

Dates: 2nd week of September.

Amit
Xsailor

Xsailor

At the mentioned time of year Redding can be 100 degrees and San Francisco can be 50 degrees even although they are only 150 miles apart.