Red Lion G3 Question

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to send tags between 2 G308 HMI's. I have the ethernet port available for this. The tags need to be "seen" by the PLC attached to each HMI. Has anybody done this and how did you do it.

I want to send tags between 2 G308 HMI's. I have the ethernet port available for this. The tags need to be "seen" by the PLC attached to each HMI. Has anybody done this and how did you do it.

You will need to supply additional information such as what is the communications protocol used by the G308 and the PLC, and should be careful to make sure that you program around what will happen if the PLC loses communications with the G308 (both local and remote).

Having said that, there is no reason that you couldn't use the G308s as gateways to pass information between each other over Ethernet and to their respective PLCs over what ever protocol they are using.

Supply the information and just wait to see how quickly Red Lion pops up with an answer.

Actually,

Red Lion returned my phone call I made just prior to posting this question. I am in the process of setting it up the way they explained it. Dan explained there are 2 methods to do this. One is Modbus and the other is using the OPC function via ethernet. I am going to try the OPC method first. I will post how it works out once it is done.