USB to Serial

shirkb

I need a recommendation for a USB to serial convertor to use with AB systems. I have tried some of these in the past and had various results. Does anyone want to recommend one that has produced good results?

I use a generic one from Cables to Go.

Best thing I found when using any of the ones I've tried is to shut off power management to your USB ports.

Ditto Keyspan HS-19.

It's worked with every A-B driver I've tried it with, except for the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. The only USB interface for DH-485 networks is the 1747-UIC.

I use an Alpha Micro device. Not sure if this will be available in your neck of the woods, but it's worked with everything I've tried to connect to, from Siemens to AB to Mitsubishi, HMI's, PLC's, Drives etc. etc.

Model no: AMC-232USB01R

I use Keyspan. If you are like me and use alot of Virtual Machines for your programing then make sure you keep your driver CD handy. When creating a new VM that is one of the first things I load. So far I have used it with Siemens, Allen Bradley, Unitronics, Automation Direct, And Omrion with no issues other than an AB requiring a PIC driver.

I use Keyspan. If you are like me and use alot of Virtual Machines for your programing then make sure you keep your driver CD handy. When creating a new VM that is one of the first things I load. So far I have used it with Siemens, Allen Bradley, Unitronics, Automation Direct, And Omrion with no issues other than an AB requiring a PIC driver.

If you use one of the VM solutions that supports templates, you can just include the driver ON the template and bam you always have it. If you don't have/or don't use a template function, I recommend building custom OS install cds that include all the latest drivers and security patches(or at least the level of security patches you want, xp sp2 for example).

Another vote for the Keyspan, as long as you aren't using a PIC. If you do use a PIC (SLC 501,502) then buy a 1747-UIC and toss the PIC.

Allen bradley makes a USB to serial adapter. That is your best bet or get a doc station for your laptop