Please guys - Micrologix + GSM to send emails or sms's

robbo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi fella's,

Well, I have trawled the forum and the internet the last 90 minutes looking for some answers.

Today I have been working on a Omron PLC hooked up to a RedLion HMI, and configure SMS alarms no problems - simple stuff.

I would like to connect a GSM modem to a micrologix 1100 or 1400 to send out emails or sms's for alarm conditions.

Where do I start? I have the PLC and the modem. I flashed the plc already to get the latest firmeare etc so thts ok.

I hooked up like this :
micrologix 1100 -- PM02 --gender changer male male --maestro lead --maestro 100 GSM modem.

I cant find any straight forward info to achieve what i want to achieve. ANy one got any leads? What code is needed? what config is needed. how to test? how to do anything?

Seriously this kind of stuff should be in the knowledge base. AB are so far behind on this issue as far as info goes, its embarrasing. Im an AB man all the way, but the competition has this stuff sorted out.

Any help/guidance appreciated.

Thanks very much :)

Hi Robbo,

If you search on here you should find several examples of AB code to send SMS messages (I've posted some myself).

In principle, you store the mobile (cell) number in one STRING file and use the AT+CMGS command(followed by CR) and the message body (followed by ctrl Z) in another. Then just fire them off using the Ascii Write (AWT) command to the channel your modem is connected to (with a short delay between the 2 writes.

The email works using the MSG instruction. You will need to configure CH1 and setup the SMTP parameters (mail server, password etc)

Have sent email on both ML1100 & ML1400 successfully if you need any pointers...

Hope this helps.

Rob

Well, I am still having problems with getting this to work.

First up, thanks to rob for emailing over some code. I'll make sure I can be helpful to somebody on here someday hopefully.

Here is where I am at.

From my laptop, I can connect directly to the modem on COM1. Here is the screens of that.

0daa726ee8.jpg

4746dc17fc.jpg

93b266a916.jpg

That SMS comes thru to my phone no worries.

This tells me that the modem is fine. (in my mind - haha)

You can sort of get the idea of how the AWT's are triggered - Its on a sequencer - the first AWT is jammed on for 3.5 secs, then the message comes on for 4 secs.

63cf74ac19.jpg

here is the strings being sent

63eb22d3cc.jpg

PLC is a Micrologix 1100 - I reflashed it to be series B etc.
I am connected from the side of the MLX 8 pin DIN via a PM02 cable going to a 9 pin male/male gender changer, then t the 9 pin/15 pin cable supplied with the modem unit

here is part 1 of the channel config

3c40f37031.jpg

here is part 2 of the channel setup.

6b399b921b.jpg

I noticed when I toggle on my alarm condition in the PLC code, that the COMM0 LCD rectangle flashes twice like its sending the 2 messages to the modem.

If anyone can see a problem with what I have done, please let me know. Its so close to working, I just cant see what the final problem here is.

Thanks!!

Rob.

Ah well, turns out the modem settings were not saving after I made some adjustments.
I was using the command AT+CSAS in hyperterminal, which worked fine until a power down. The system came good when I used AT&W instead, and set the baud rate permanently to 19200.

Special thanks to Rob again. He made the time to send a few emails and some code over for me. I am very appreciative of his efforts. What a great member of the forum!!

:)

Hello all,
so i have a new and i was looking for some advice, and this topic seemed perfect to ask on.

so we have several customers all throughout the country but we have nothing to monitor our product. One thing that happens is people drive into it. (out product has no automation about it) so what i was thinkning was to put a PLC out on the floor...would like to use a micrologix 1100, and what we want to do is if anyone crashes into our product we can be notified right away via text message, email, fax what have you.

what would i need to accomplish this? and do i need to ask our customers to supply us with internet connection?? the plc system i would also like to beable to monitor as well via HMI in house at our ficility to monitor how our porduct reacts to extreme tempatures and humidity being as some our outside.

thank you!!

MAESTRO CDMA and Micrologix 1100

Hey guys, good stuff here on the setup! I'm however looking at going with the M100 CDMA connected to the Micrologix 1100 over the Verizon network in my area. Will be for alarming purposes on several municipal water well and lift stations. I can't find any setup documents on the CDMA version ! Anyone work with it ? Thanks.

ML1100 +GSM SIM900 to send SMS

Hi Robbo,

If you search on here you should find several examples of AB code to send SMS messages (I've posted some myself).

In principle, you store the mobile (cell) number in one STRING file and use the AT+CMGS command(followed by CR) and the message body (followed by ctrl Z) in another. Then just fire them off using the Ascii Write (AWT) command to the channel your modem is connected to (with a short delay between the 2 writes.

The email works using the MSG instruction. You will need to configure CH1 and setup the SMTP parameters (mail server, password etc)

Have sent email on both ML1100 & ML1400 successfully if you need any pointers...

Hope this helps.

Rob

I am also working on same project kindly help me

I know nothing about the REDLION as I use Maple System. I do this by setting up the Maple System to be the one to send Email/SMS messages. The plc is just what triggers the bit that tells the Maple HMI to send alarm.

Might try that approach.