Baud Rate RSLogix5000 to Controllogix processor

plclolz

Hello,

I'm new to PLC's.

I'm communicating between a PC using a USB serial port converter on COM6 and a controllogix processor using a null modem cable. The transfer is super slow. When i autoconfigure the driver in RSlinx classic, it selects something really really slow like 9600 or 19200.

Is there a way to change this baud rate? It seems rather stupid this is the best it can do.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm new to PLC's.

I'm communicating between a PC using a USB serial port converter on COM6 and a controllogix processor using a null modem cable. The transfer is super slow. When i autoconfigure the driver in RSlinx classic, it selects something really really slow like 9600 or 19200.

Is there a way to change this baud rate? It seems rather stupid this is the best it can do.

Thanks in advance.

The ControlLogix Serial Port defaults to 19200. If you Right Click on the Controller in the Project Tree, then select the Serial Port Tab, you can change it to 38400, which is the highest it goes it seems. You will lose communications after you apply the change, then you will need to do an Auto Configure again, or change the Baud Rate manually.

Stu.....

I don't know what all equipment you have available, but even if a ControlLogix system doesn't require Ethernet, you can still drop an Ethernet card in the rack and communicate over that. They are hot-swappable, and don't need to be included in the I/O tree unless you have Ethernet I/O.

It is much faster (obviously), and I always feel better flashing the firmware on the processor over Ethernet then Serial.

The ControlLogix Serial Port defaults to 19200. If you Right Click on the Controller in the Project Tree, then select the Serial Port Tab, you can change it to 38400, which is the highest it goes it seems. You will lose communications after you apply the change, then you will need to do an Auto Configure again, or change the Baud Rate manually.

Stu.....

Thanks, i'll try that out.

I don't know what all equipment you have available, but even if a ControlLogix system doesn't require Ethernet, you can still drop an Ethernet card in the rack and communicate over that. They are hot-swappable, and don't need to be included in the I/O tree unless you have Ethernet I/O.

It is much faster (obviously), and I always feel better flashing the firmware on the processor over Ethernet then Serial.

I've used the Ethernet I/O cards however i don't have one available on this project. The ethernet i/o is quite a bit quicker.

I've used the Ethernet I/O cards however i don't have one available on this project. The ethernet i/o is quite a bit quicker.

Actually, I'm saying, if you have any 'ol ENET, ENBT, or EWEB module laying around, you can just temporarily pop it in the rack of the CPU you are working on, then yank it out when you are done.
It doesn't affect the I/O config at all. Even if the rack is full, you can yank out any I/O module you aren't testing with, and drop the Ethernet card in it's place. I always keep a spare on the desk just for those situations.

Actually, I'm saying, if you have any 'ol ENET, ENBT, or EWEB module laying around, you can just temporarily pop it in the rack of the CPU you are working on, then yank it out when you are done.
It doesn't affect the I/O config at all. Even if the rack is full, you can yank out any I/O module you aren't testing with, and drop the Ethernet card in it's place. I always keep a spare on the desk just for those situations.

understood. I don't have those either but thanks for the info.

Hello,

changing the baud speed as indicated earlier worked. In RSlogix5000 the maximum it would even allow me to change it to was 38400 baud. No higher option was avail. It it s a bit quicker though. Maybe honey fast vs. tar.

Hello,

changing the baud speed as indicated earlier worked. In RSlogix5000 the maximum it would even allow me to change it to was 38400 baud. No higher option was avail. It it s a bit quicker though. Maybe honey fast vs. tar.

I have to admit that I was surprised that was the fastest option for the Serial Port. You would think at least 57,600 KB or even 115,200 KB would be available.

Stu.....

I have to admit that I was surprised that was the fastest option for the Serial Port. You would think at least 57,600 KB or even 115,200 KB would be available.

Stu.....

I know... and a controllogix processor is about 4 - 5k retail. They must think it's a way to sell their Ethernet I/O modules. I really don't have a whole lot of respect for Allen Bradley professionally. They don't seem to have good heads on their shoulders.

Logix controllers have RS-232 serial ports because users still connect them up to old and standardized serial devices. When users stop using serial ports on their industrial modems and printers and barcode scanners and peripherals is when A-B will stop putting serial ports on the controllers.

Which is... right about now.

The high-performance network cards (1756-EN2T, -CN2/B, and -DNB/C) have a USB port on them, and the newest 1756-L7 controllers have a USB port instead of an RS-232 port. Those really take advantage of those times when your programming terminal is six feet from the controller.

The upcoming MicroLogix 810 and 830 controllers will have USB and Ethernet as their default communications method, with RS232 and RS485 as option modules.

Heavy industrial technology moves slowly on purpose.

Hi Ken.
Rockwell told us we were not supposed to call the new 800 series PLCs a Micrologix 800, they are to be referred to as a Micro 800.
Makes sense in a way as they are not programmed with the same software and as I was told (correct me if I am wrong) they are meant as a replacement for the Pico.
Regards Alan