Barcode into RSView

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone ever used a barcode scanner to enter data into RSView? I have been asked about setting up some hand held barcode scanners so that the operator can scan a barcode for a work order number/part number and make that available to RSView. RSView will then use that information to select a set of parameters. Right now the operator selects the parameter set himself. The barcode reader will probably be on a USB port but that could change. I'm sure this is possible and probably not difficult but I've never done it before so I'm hoping there are some people here who can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used a barcode scanner to enter data into RSView? I have been asked about setting up some hand held barcode scanners so that the operator can scan a barcode with containing a work order number/part number and make that available to RSView. RSView will then use that information to select a set of parameters. Right now the operator selects the parameter set himself. The barcode reader will probably be on a USB port but that could change. I'm sure this is possible and probably not difficult but I've never done it before so I'm hoping there are some people here who can point me in the right direction.

I haven't had to set up any Bar Code Scanners with anything yet, though I am sure it will come up eventually. If you have access to the RA Knowledgebase, they do have some articles on it for the PanelView Plus, which is similar, and some others. This might give you some clues. If nothing else, it should be possible with VBA.

Not much help I know, but we have to start somewhere. Hopefully someone that has done it will jump in.

Stu.....

I have done it with no effort Gryphon scanners which it thing is made by Datalogic. They have a great tech support also. I have some machines that have several entries required, and Datalogic made me 1 configuration barcode that would do a [Enter] and [Tab] so focus would automatically move to the next entry point.

http://www.scanning.datalogic.com/sitefiles/gppremium.aspx

Last edited:
Hi

You can check Cognex Bar Code Reader. The dataman200 has an add-on profile for use in rslogix 5000. they wrok very well and are really easy to setup. They also communicate and are powered thru the ethernet cable.

You can also use Symbol serial bar code reader and get the reading with the 1734-232ASC on a Point I/O module.

I use both on our production line. Both work fine.
But, obviously, the Cognex Ethernet Dataman 200 is so easy to setup...

good luck.

I discarded Datalogic because when I asked a quote and support, I never had an answer from those guys...lack of support

Bonne,
We are currently converting our accusort scanners to Cognex. We got a couple of new machines and they have datalogic. one has all ready failed within three months. found out that datalogic bought accusort. No wonder they are ****.