Cannot connect to Micro-1

Johnster

Hey guys,
this is getting tough.
The PLC is an old Square D Micro-1 8003 series. It runs on 120vac and has an I/O expansion card (8in 6 out) ribbon cabled-to it. it currently has a good running program.

I need to suck the program out to troubleshoot and for an archive I'm building.
I have a NR&D SCM1D cable to go from RS-232 to RS-422. It is on the end of a 25 to 9-pin serial adapter. no null modem adapter that I have used (yet).

Using the SFW30 software...
I have tried setting the 'port' in the program (SFW30.exe) to 002 or 010, no dice - is this the port of the program or of the PLC you wish to connect to ? is there a default ?
My first few attempts were on a windows XP machine using a USB serial adapter - no dice (no surprise either)

So I found an old Pentium III laptop with a native serial port- I set the SFW30 Port to 002, using both the RS232 settings and RS422 settings inside of SFW30 it didn't work. Whenever I tried to go online (F1 from the main screen) it would wait for a second (it was trying) and say "Connection error" On another screen in SFW30 I found a message saying "Network error -1028" which I guess means that its not talking =)

I also downloaded DOSBox, and set it up for 9600 8N1 in the DOSbox config file. I ran SFW30 in dosbox with the same above setups and got the very same results.

a null-modem adapter is the only thing I can think of and havent tried (I need to dig one up...)

Lotsa ideas on this board for the older AB controllers, but I'm not seeing much on the Micro-1's.

Anyone else here ever been online with a Square D Micro-1 ?

-John

Last edited:
Yes, I remember going online to a Square-D PLC, about 30 years ago with an all-DOS computer. That is about all I remember, but probably your problems have to do with the differences between Windows and the real actual Disk Operating System software.

See section 1.3 for comm's setup info.

Link to Micro-1 SFW30 Programming Software manual:
http://static.schneider-electric.us:8080/TechLibWeb/download/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fecatalog%2Esquared%2Ecom%2Fpubs%2FAutomation%20Products%2FSYMAX%20Programmable%20Controller%2FMicro%20Programmable%20Controllers%2F30598%2D788%2D01A1%2Epdf

Link to cable diagram for Idec Micro-1 (I think it is the same but not sure):
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=5431&d=1149258271

The following may not help, but, then again, maybe it will.
Here is a doc file for a similar plc comm setup. A null modem was used in the setup.

Last edited:
I use WindLDR and the cable that Keithkyll linked (thanks Keithkyll) also use Windows XP, I test a lot of them before I sell them... also use the software with Micro 3