panrlview plus data storage

jonfarrugia

I will be working on an application which will require me to store data every 10 seconds. From my understanding panelview plus's have the capability to store information to a local CF card or a remote comupter. What format is the information stored in? What are the limitations to file size? Do these files work like databases where I would be able to query information?
I'd love to hear back from people who have used the panelview plus's to log data and let me know what they think of it.

The PV+ storage capacity is limited to 300,000 points, so if you had 10 pens, you would only have about 3 days capacity, by my math anyways.

jonfarrugia said:
What format is the information stored in?
It is stored in a compressed proprietary format (unless that has recently changed), but they offer a free utility that can convert it to .dbf format which can be opened in excel.

I have read many of the technotes about data logging with a PV+ (techconnect required for all of those listed in my search of the knowledgebase).

As for logging directly to a PC, the major restriction that I noticed was that the PC must be part of the same domain with the PV+, and there must be a domain name server on the network.

I also read about some issues with data logging stopping and not restarting and giving no indication.

I recommend you search the knowledgebase articles using the advanced search options to narrow the results down to Operator Interface, Panelview Plus with the terms datalog, or data log.

For my HMI+logging application, I decided to go with a G306A from Red Lion. It lets me log any which way I want to my 2gig CF card (I chose .csv), and I can send that data to a FTP server easily, mount the CF card remotely from my PC and view its contents directly...etc, and so on. That kind of versatility just didn't seem to exist in the PV+, unless they've enhanced it a lot in the past few months.