RSLogix500 License

poiuy

I need to get a license onto a computer with a CD rom drive, but no floppy drive, and no PCMCIA slots, and therefore no net access. Any ideas?

You're going to need either a networked shared drive or a USB floppy drive.

For better or for worse, RSI activations don't work with USB removable storage, like "pen drives" or ZIP drives, or Flash cards.

This must be one of those "ultracompact" laptops that have minimal outside connectivity. I hope it at least has a built-in network port.

Nope, it's just old and I dont have the floppy drive. I'm also missing drivers for the PCMCIA slots, and without the floppy drive, I dont have any way of getting them. I'm trying to find an external floppy drive somewhere.

Hi group, Its funny, I was going to ask this same question tonight...thanks for the answer Ken. I did talk to my local AB Dist. today, and he told me that as long as I have tha original box w/ the serial# on it he would TRY to get me an update/upgrade at a fair price. I let you know how that works out.
David

My hat is off to Samneggs. I work for Rockwell Automation, and I didn't know about the special EVMoveCF utility.

It doesn't solve poiuy's dilemma, but it's probably applicable to many floppy-less PCs.

I'm going to have to take a good look at that !

Flash Card

I tried using a 8 meg compact flash card to transfer the master key, the problem is that the Move Activation software won't write to a removable drive, it only writes to the fixed drive. What I am now looking into is if there is any tweak to make the computer think that the removable drive is a fixed drive.
I also tried the Dos SUBST command (SUBST Z: C:\MyTest), that works for the C Drive as for the the Move Activation software, but when I use the SUBST command on the Flash Card in Drive G (SUBST G: Q:\), it still treats the new Q: as a removable drive.
I just hope I don't mess my computer up when I start messing with the registry.
I think that this is a interesting problem and I have wasted 2 hours so far on it. I am considering buying a new laptop and hopefully Allen-Bradley will come out with a fix fairly soon. I rarely use my laptop's floppy drive and will be somewhat disappointed if I have to buy a floppy drive just because Allen-Bradley is not keeping up with technology.
My master key is 9 years old now and I wonder how much longer it will last so it would be nice to use the Flash card. I also know that I could use a network drive. BTW as most of us oldtimers already know, there are ways around this problem, I just thought that this was an interesting problem.

poiuy, I think I have a serial external floppy drive in my mess...since the move to Alabama many things are missing or "lost" in boxes etc. I know I have an external floppy drive but not sure about the connection now.

Let me look this weekend, if you havent gotten one, and if I can find it you can have...I dont have a use for it.

rsdoran said:
poiuy, I think I have a serial external floppy drive in my mess...since the move to Alabama many things are missing or "lost" in boxes etc. I know I have an external floppy drive but not sure about the connection now.

Let me look this weekend, if you havent gotten one, and if I can find it you can have...I dont have a use for it.

I found a solution about a week or so ago, but thanks for the offer.

It turns out that when the IT guys built the laptop, they copied all the drivers into a backup file on the hard drive. Once I found those, I reinstalled the pcmcia drivers and put it on the network here at work.