PLC Network (CANBUS)

Nick T-Com

I'm trying to set up a network of Sauer-Danfoss Plus +1 controllers (CANBUS), and I have to have numerous units very far apart from each other ( > 50' ). Are there any options for setting up a reliable network without using fiber optics. Are there any reliable repeaters that can be used. Ideally I would like to have a unit that consists of only the bus for the network, and the terminating resistors, so that I could have any unit turned off for maintenance, and it wouldn't affect the system negatively.

When I design Sauer Danfoss Plus1 systems I normally set the communication speed to 125Kbit/s and even if i have not had very long distances this should be no problem for hundreds of meters. Have a look at:
http://www.softing.com/home/en/indu...ng/practical-bus-length.php?navanchor=3010538

If you are in no hurry and have longer total distances then you can co for even lower communication speeds.

Just make sure to use proper shielded canbus cables and terminate correctly. If one node in the Plus1 CAN network dies this does not affect communication to the live nodes.