Looking for typical 4-20ma to dcs

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a system in that we use a 2 wire 4-20ma loop from a transmitter to a programmable relay. We turn a pump off or on depending on levels of the 4-20ma signal. A new customer wants to monitor this 4-20ma signal at their DCS. The units we use do not come with analog outputs. I have included this schematic (it is for general concept, not actual wiring diagram)to show the two ways I believe this could be done. I prefer option #1. Which option would you typically see at a plant?

4-20 layout.jpg

I would go with option 1 IF:
1) you verify the transmitter can handle the total load from both the PLC and the DCS

2) The DCS analog input isn't tied to common or ground (is it is, the signal won't get to the PLC)

Even if these conditions aren't OK you can simply put a 4-20 mA signal isolator in the loop, in series with one device and with the isolator output tied to the other device. Still cheaper than a new PLC!

Thanks for the replies. I feel good now about my original desire to go with option# 1.

Tom I will check into the questions you brought up and adjust as needed. Thanks again.

option 1 looks fine but if your DCS input should fail you will loose your pump control. as suggested previously a loop isolator is the what i would use.

hi
option no#1 is ok if your analog card channela are isolated if not you will get error in reading
THX. :mad:

One more item to check out is that many of the DCS systems I have seen supply their own loop power for 2-wire transmitters.

Darren

Dash we had that problem earlier this year. We had a self powered loop 4-20ma from a transmitter and the customer's DCS was sourcing type , and not changable to sinking. A signal isolator fixed the problem there.