Ethernet problem

paul_36

Dear all,

i have some issues with the ethernet connection. The distance is aprrox. 350 meters though i know it does not work more than 100 meters properly, but it is unavoidable.

Main plc processor is 1769-l32e and distributed flex i/o is connected to 1794-aent.

Please guide me a easy and cheap solution.

Cheap and easy would be 4 segments of cable <=100m each and three low budget switches. Don't put anything else on the switches unless you used managed switches since you are using the connection for I/O.

I am a relative novice with ethernet, so there might be some other better method, like a signal booster or something.

Last edited:
Dear all,

i have some issues with the ethernet connection. The distance is aprrox. 350 meters though i know it does not work more than 100 meters properly, but it is unavoidable.

Main plc processor is 1769-l32e and distributed flex i/o is connected to 1794-aent.

Please guide me a easy and cheap solution.

As well as the good advice from OkiePC, another option is to go a Fiber Trunk from end to end. You will need the proper Switch at each end to switch from Fiber to Cat 5/5E/6. There are a number of options including Weidmuller, Stratix, N-Tron etc. This would overcome your distance problem, as well as keeping your speed up.

I have pushed the 100 meter limit for Programming and Data Monitoring. It just isn't a good idea with I/O though. You want your Communications Rock Solid. Despite the higher speed, I am not a big fan of Ethernet for I/O, but that is another discussion.

Stu.......

Thanks.......using 4 switches...but the trouble is to power them up. I got an option from EtherWAN. According to them I need 2 extenders of their make at 2 ends and same cat 5 cable can be used with RJ-11 port to communicate between the Ethernet extenders. While 2 small Ethernet straight cable at either side will solve my purpose. I am kind of skeptic though.

No need to be difficult just use fiber and 2 fiber to copper converters / switches on each end.

You can use stratix 6000 or 8000 switches or the etap modules listed by contr_conn this is all ab but every vendor has a similar solution.

This will be standard and it is noise immune.