Sequencers and Array's

KOEd

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all the help on previous questions. My new job is proving to be a challenge (in a good way)and your advice has been extreemly helpful!
Does anyone know of any good links for me to get a better understanding of Sequencer instructions? (used with array's) I have searched, but have not found anything that seems to simplify it for me.
Thanks again.

Thanks OkiePC.
Most of our systems are AB, but we also have Siemans here.

You need to be more specific. Which AB PLC Family? i.e. Logix, PLC5, SLC5. Which Siemens PLC Family? Exact Model Number please.

Stu....

Last edited:
Sequencer Programming

I'm sorry guys,
I'm trying to troubleshoot Allen Bradley systems running on ControlLogix 5000. The program is used for fluids blending from different tanks, temps, flow rates etc. and has several steps. Sequencer instructions and arrays seem to be the way all the pumps, valves, etc. are manipulated through these steps. I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the logic stores, moves and handles the data in this type of system so I can get them back running when the system stalls or wont start.

In answer to KOEd's request for reference texts on the usage of sequencer instructions, I really cannot think of a better way than to access the RSLogix5000 Help for the instructions.

The instruction helps are well-written, very descriptive, usually give good examples, and of course, are straight from the horses mouth !

I'm sorry guys,
I'm trying to troubleshoot Allen Bradley systems running on ControlLogix 5000. The program is used for fluids blending from different tanks, temps, flow rates etc. and has several steps. Sequencer instructions and arrays seem to be the way all the pumps, valves, etc. are manipulated through these steps. I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the logic stores, moves and handles the data in this type of system so I can get them back running when the system stalls or wont start.

As well as Daba's advice regarding the RSLogix5000 Help Files.
Get a copy of the Logix5000 Instruction Reference Manual from AB.
Got to the Literature Library and Search for 1756-RM003L-EN-P. Sequence Instruction are in Chapter 10.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_category.hcst

I always set up an Excel Spreadsheet as a Template, with the Rows set up for Steps and the Columns set up with all the Output Conditions. It helps organize things, and allows easy editing, insertion or deletion of steps etc.

Stu.....

Last edited:
Sqi, sqo

Thanks everyone!
The program uses SQI and SQO instructions.
I did not realize the question I asked had so many variables to it.(lol)Guess thats why I found the code so confusing. I think getting things in Excel, as sthompson suggested, would give me the vision (and understanding)I'm hoping for. I'm not sure how to accomplish that though. Maybe I can get it from the developer. Also the 1756-RM003L-EN-P manual was helpful. I did not find that document in my original search. Any other suggestions or links will be followed up on and thanks again!

When using the SQI/SQO instructions it is usually very beneficial to have some design documents to work with.

If you are comfortable with excel and using DDE/OPC links, you can set up a workbook to connect with your sequencer(s) and view/edit the actual data in the sequencer.

Also, there are a lot of different ways to control the behavior of the sequence step. Typically, when using the SQI as a step conditioner, you'll have it directly control the step number and it will step forward one step at a time. Sometimes, you'll need the ability to jump to a particular step for certain conditions. There are a bunch of different ways to acheive this.

As for diagnostics, once you understand the logic, and if the SQI function is used in a pure form, it is really easy to create a diagnostic word to show what the sequence is "waiting for" at any point in time.

Here is an example using RSLogix500. I didn't use the SQI/SQO pair because they can be limiting, but the example includes a workbook so you can take it apart and see how the bits and pieces are read/written to/from excel. By using MEQ and MVM with indirection, I basically have the same thing as the SQO/SQI pair except that the step number control is done with separate instructions, so I have more flexibility.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=854

I have worked with some sequencers that have the next step number as part of the output so that the order of steps can be rearranged by simple writing a new value to that number.

I have also worked with sequencers that use one of the output bits as a "skip step" condition. My example in the link above has a LBL but doesn't have the JMP to properly implement that feature. By doing this, you can put every possible step for every machine function your machine needs in the sequence, and then just put a "1" in the Skip Step column for those steps you don't need for a particular production run.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
The program uses SQI and SQO instructions.
I did not realize the question I asked had so many variables to it.(lol)Guess thats why I found the code so confusing. I think getting things in Excel, as sthompson suggested, would give me the vision (and understanding)I'm hoping for. I'm not sure how to accomplish that though. Maybe I can get it from the developer. Also the 1756-RM003L-EN-P manual was helpful. I did not find that document in my original search. Any other suggestions or links will be followed up on and thanks again!

Unfortunately, Allen Bradley/Rockwell has changed the way their Web Site works. On a lot of Documents, you can't copy and paste a direct link any more. I just tested the link I gave you, and pasted the Document Number into the Keyword Search box, and it took me right to the Logix5000 Manual entry. All you have to do then is click on the PDF File Icon. I couldn't say why it didn't work for you.

Stu...