Practical application

Dear All,

Could anyone tell me where I can found Practical applications so I can program them for my students so they can feel the importance of this great topic "PLC", I have 4 books on PLC", and the problems in there not enough, I need more and more....

Could anyone Help me in this, Thanks in advance.

A great resource!

m_abd_el_khalik, you have to look here. The Learning Pit is a wonderful resource and you really need to download and try the LogixPro simulation software. There are also student labs that are available. I use LogixPro to teach my PLC classes here in the US. Works well and the students really take to it quickly.

Field Trip?

Why not take a field trip?

Contact a few local companies and arrange to take your class on a tour. Let the company's technicians describe the equipment, what it does, a sense of the process, then show the cabinet with all the flashing lights inside :)

I used to think I was the only person with this problem, namely, that I have to have a goal to work towards, or I can't seem to come up with anything.

Ask me "make a machine to build widgets", and I have lots of ideas.

Ask me "make a machine, any machine" and I haven't a clue.

TM

What level do you want them to learn at?

The usual examples
  • Elevator
  • Parking Lot
  • Traffic Light
have the property that they are all things that people "already know how they work". This is a usually desirable property for a student project. They don't need to be told the sequence. But they get experience in breaking up the sequence into the "correct" control modules.

They also allow for "scope creap" ("add a zebra crossing", "Add access to the roof, but only selectable via keyswitch")

Occationally we get asked by "5th year engineering studends" for some PLC project ideas. I typically send them to the kitchen. Automate a refigerator or an oven (zoned control of analog systems (PID), operator interfaces (including the light that comes on when the door is opened)). Toasters and microwaves are good too.

A whole-house control system has potential, in that you can start with a simple switch-turns-on-the-lamp control, and add on multiple switches, motion-sensors, photoeyes, timers, etc. This can be a semester-long project, which gets built up as they progress. The flip-flop problem is naturally introduced. Analog control can come in via the air-conditioning system, or even just a dimmer switch. But in this house, everything would be wired through the PLC.

If you are looking for more advanced programming (like what we find in the real world, where we have to be told what the machine is supposed to do), then the common list is:
  • Pick & Place
  • Batching Tank
  • Packaging Line

For a good Pick-and-Place, see Steve Bailey's Example in the Archives

For a batching tank, just draw a simple one with, say 4 solenoid valves feeding in raw materials (with one valve being a double-block-and-bleed arrangement), flow meters on each of the lines. Add a steam jacket (control valve on the infeed, solenoid valves on the return and drain), an agitator (VFD driven (enable, run DO's, running DI, and speed control and reference AO/AI), a discharge valve and pump (single speed). You can keep on adding bells & whistles (a recirc loop, going through, or bypassing, a heat exchanger for cooling), pressure control, nitrogen blankets, etc) until the system is as complex as you want. (Extra credit - programmable recipes).

For a packaging line, it's the same sort of thing: 10 conveyor motors. Cascaded start/stop. No upstream feeding to a failed conveyor. Jam-detect photoeyes. Add in other machines (bottle unscrambler, filler, capper, checkweigher, reject station, palletizer, shrinkwrapper) until again it's as complex as you want.

Best of luck to you (and your students).

Last edited:
I always like to use a machine that the guys are familiar with. Right now I have a trainee doing a program for a clothes drier, for example. It starts out simple, then I add functions, analog data, etc. When the PLC is good, he will do an operator interface. One of my interns did an automated refrigerator for the fraternity's beer keg - maintain temperature, monitor use, and alarm on low levels. A lawn sprinkler system, a home furnace/airconditioner control, a log splitter, it doesn't really matter as long as you can think up bells and whistles to add to keep the project growing.

Traffic lights and elevators are popular choices, but they leave me a little cold.

Moustafa
One of the common application widly teached in engineering is color mixing process
you will need
1-four tanks (4 colours)
2- one tank for mixing
3-each tank from the colour tanks has an outlet valve and of course a pump
4-you will need also to measure the flow of each color to know the volume(4 flow meters with analog output signal)
5-you can measure the level of each color in the tank to alarm when the level decrease.
6-there is a mixer(motor) uin the mixing tank.
7-outlet valve for the mixing tank.
try this examply it's really exiting :D
Good luck

I stumbled across THIS LINK at Stanford University. They explain a variety of processes, and there's even a handful of 'factory tour' videos.

Might give you a few ideas... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric