RSLogix

EET

Hi,

I'm a new hire with a company and there isnt anyone in the department besides for me at the moment. We have the RSlogix software on the main operating PC which runs the plant. However im interested in setting up a test station to "play around" with the software without risking the chance of modifying the main system. Is there anyway i can install this software on another computer without having to buy another copy. I have read about switching the activation between two PC's but i understand that you can only use the software on whichever PC the activation has been switched to....will this cause the main operating system to stop working and data to be lost or will it only prevent me from making modifications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EET

I am not sure what your setup is. But RSLogix in itself would not be operating 'the plant', as it is only a means for creating/modifying the PLC program(s) in the PLC(s) around the Plant.

It will be the PLC(s) that are operating the plant, so I don't think that there should be an issue with moving the RSLogix activation to another computer.

However if you have any real doubts, and the cost of stopping the plant is high, it may be safer in buying another licence (set of software), plus it would give you a backup incase the main computer fails, and takes your current activation with it.

Tell us which RSLogix version you have RSLogix5, RSLogix500 or RSLogix5000.
Also what PLC do you have? If the activation is from a master disk you can use it
to start the software in the second computer, just put the master disk in the "A" drive and start the software. ( Yes this is legal, its in the book)

Sorry i didnt provide you with a lot of info in the last msg. We are using Allen Bradley PLC's....micrologix 1200.....and proficy is our HMI system.....i want to have a back up since if the main computer ever goes down we arent totally flying in the dark. Thanks again

Sorry i didnt provide you with a lot of info in the last msg. We are using Allen Bradley PLC's....micrologix 1200.....and proficy is our HMI system.....i want to have a back up since if the main computer ever goes down we arent totally flying in the dark. Thanks again

Welcome to the forum. Yes do back up. We use Acronis to backup and restore. Backup the files in the network drives. :)

As long as you have your installation disks and Master disk for RSLogix500, then you do have a backup.

You can install RSLogix500 on multiple computers, but you can only be using one of them at a time.

What you might run into is that your activation is tied to the existing computer. If it dies, your activation is locked in there with no way to get it out.

Allen Bradley can help you if this happens, but it isn't a quick process usually.

The only true way to have a backup is to buy another copy of the software.

But, as others have said, the computer isn't "running" anything. You may be "online" with a PLC monitoring what it is doing, but the computer has no control purpose. It is for viewing and modifying the code that is running independently in the PLC.

If it dies, your activation is locked in there with no way to get it out.

Allen Bradley can help you if this happens, but it isn't a quick process usually.

The only true way to have a backup is to buy another copy of the software.

Except calling AB Tech Support and restoring your activation, usually takes me about 15-20 minutes. I believe there is a limit to how often you can do it without a support contract. I have a contract and have restored one master disk twice and another once over the past four years.

Also, if you do have the Master Disk for the software, then you can technically run two copies of the software at any given time. One copy using the activation that was transferred from the disk to the PC and another copy using the master disk (just put it in the PC you want to run it on). The master disk is handy for you having one PC for doing the main maintenance of the PLCs, and another just to bring around with you for testing and programming in your office.

Also, if you do have the Master Disk for the software, then you can technically run two copies of the software at any given time. ......

Technically yes, legally no. Just because it is technically possible does not make it legal. If you want to run two copies of the software simultaneously, then you are required to own two licenses.

OG

Technically yes, legally no. Just because it is technically possible does not make it legal. If you want to run two copies of the software simultaneously, then you are required to own two licenses.

OG

I'm sure if Rockwell didn't want us to be able to use the Master Disk to temporarily run their software they could have easily added the ability to check if the activation was still available on the disk. They already check it when you go to move the activation, so the disk knows if it is or is not available.

And in the case that this setup would be used, it would not likely be a Simultaneous use anyway. The user has one PC out on the floor with the activation, ready for maintenance. The other for testing. He said he's the only person in the department.

There are two problems with running from the Master Disk.

1. Few computers have the floppy interface.

2. Using a guaranteed limited-lifetime object like the floppy on a day-to-day basis is asking for trouble. The activation can only be transferred back on to THE MASTER DISK!

A continuous use of two computers calls for two licenses. Temporary use for training - you make the call on 'temporary' - seems to be a legitimate use.

You can purchase a USB key from Rockwell and tie your license to that - so another option is then just move the USB license key between machines, with the software installed on multiple machines, but only one can run at a time.

I'm sure if Rockwell didn't want us to be able to use the Master Disk to temporarily run their software they could have easily added the ability to check if the activation was still available on the disk.

"They didn't prevent me from stealing" is a rather shaky legal stance to take. As you suggest, it is intended as a temporary activation method and as long as the software is not running simultaneously on another machine it isn't an issue.

All of this is irrelevant if the OP is using FactoryTalk Activations and ties their license to a USB dongle as robertkjonesjr suggests. As bernie mentions, floppies are becoming more and more rare all the time.

OG