OT: Trip

SMOKE

Sorry for stealing the OT, but I went on a trip this past week and received an Altima Hybrid. Totally expected the worst... now I want one. It Goes. I am not sure.. I don't think its electric? I don't think so, thinking its a cylinder usage thing except it shuts down at stop lights. Anyway I drove my A** off and used 1/4 tank.

Oh yea.. just so you all can have a chuckle at my expense. This car has a push button start. After 15 minutes in the lot without being able to start the car, I had to get the book out and read how to start it. Worst thing is the dash told me what to do. Damn I do that for a living......?

Last edited:
My wife's card had a button start. It was pretty cool. She never had to take the key out of her purse. It would unlock when you grabbed the handle and as long as the key was in range, you would just press the brake and start it. The only downside is "key" goes dead, you are screwed. It had a maintenance message telling you to replace the battery though. I don't think it knew anything smart, just programmed to come on after so much time.

My wife's card had a button start. It was pretty cool. She never had to take the key out of her purse. It would unlock when you grabbed the handle and as long as the key was in range, you would just press the brake and start it. The only downside is "key" goes dead, you are screwed. It had a maintenance message telling you to replace the battery though. I don't think it knew anything smart, just programmed to come on after so much time.
My Boss had BMW like that, it drove me crazy every time I went back to check if I'd locked the car the stinkin' thing would unlock for me in the end I just gave up and hoped that I'd locked it.

My first car was a '74 Duster with a pushbutton start. You had to turn the key on too though...

My dad picked it out for me for the $200 I had saved. I had to walk past that thing for two more weeks on my way to work, until I could afford tires, only to find out it had a bent frame. I drove it that way for 4 years...on retreads...$99 every 3 months.

The only downside is "key" goes dead, you are screwed. It had a maintenance message telling you to replace the battery though. I don't think it knew anything smart, just programmed to come on after so much time.

I wouldn't be so sure. We produce tire pressure sensors, you know, the ones that go inside your wheel and tell you when your tire is low.

Well, using this simple device, I can tell you the tire temperature, tire air pressure, AND the battery voltage of the internal battery, all within a few seconds. (Plus a bunch more things that I won't go into)

That being said, I am sure the RFID key can tell the vehicle it's actual battery voltage. Whether they do or not, that is up to the designers.

You're filling me with nostalgia, OkiePC. Junior year I bought a '74 Valiant with a slant-six and a bent valve.... learned everything I know about engines getting that one back together.

I nearly wrecked my buddy's Prius because I couldn't take my eyes off the regen status animation.

Mine had the slant 6 too. Only trouble I ever had was keeping water out of the distributor. After I got t-boned 4 years later and totalled the thing, we got $600 for the engine...

You're filling me with nostalgia, OkiePC.

When I was a kid Dad had a truck with a flat head V-8, about vintage 1936. It had a push button start too! A couple of years back a car salesman showed me a vehicle with the "newest technology" pushbuton start. I laughed my butt off!

I had to stop laughing though the first time I got a rental with this feature. It took me about 20 minutes to get it started, too. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Smoke!