SLC 5/03 + 1761-net-eni = wierd error....

acranney

Hi... First post so be kind....
I'm setting up an SlC5/03 to talk via a 1761-net-eni and getting a wierd commas error which I can't find any reference for in searching..

I have configured the net-eni fine(I think) as in rslinx I can see the plc (it shows the type and name correctly) but I can't drill down.

When I look at the station diagnostics I get " communication status: ERROR " and in the driver diagnostics I get an "unable to establish TCP connection" due to "can't set port type to 288: no harmony object for this Ethernet"

If i talk directly via serial all is fine and connection works well (rs232 df1)

But over Ethernet (ab-eth1) I can't drill down ...(though the data table monitor shows up the tables correctly)

So.. What step am I missing to get this commas working to rslinx...
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't add much until you can answer OkiePC's questions, but its good to see you live in the best city in Oz.

Do you have access to the AB Knowledgebase?

I have had previous issues with NET-ENI's before, so have a look at this thread from sometime ago.

If you are in a desperate hurry, I can do onsite visits, but they will cost $$$. If you are not in a hurry, I & others will try to help you here :ROFLMAO:

Ian

It's a series d ( only purchased last week).
Rslinx version I'm not sure on but it's off a 2009 or 2010 package so relatively new...

If I try to upload the code within rs500 I get a x04 error and it fails.....

And yes Newcastle is good, but this job is down in the wet area of Victoria :)
I tested the unit back at the office and it was straight forward to talk to a test plc we had there, but things never go smooth in the real world :)

The keyword "Harmony" makes me think this is related to RSLinx Classic. There's a database server called "Harmony" that runs down inside the guts of RSLinx Classic and can get corrupted.

First thing, let's delete all the Ethernet drivers, shut down RSLinx Classic, then navigate to the RSLinx program file directory and delete the harmony.RSH and harmony.HRC files. RSLinx Classic will re-create them next time you start it.

Prove basic TCP connectivity by using PING to contact the 1761-NET-ENI, then use HTTP from a web browser. You could even try opening a connection using Telnet (Series D and later supported that) to prove that works.

I checked even the internal RA Knowledgebase and that specific error doesn't show up. Carefully note and post the precise error message that you see, along with the exact version of RSLinx Classic, the OS and service pack you are using, and the exact firmware version of the 1761-NET-ENI.

Rslinx is version 2.56.00.13 CPR 9 sr 2
Windows is xp with service pack 3
Net-eni is a series D with firmware 03.22

Talkin tcp/ping/http isn't a problem so comms to the unit is fine

Deleted all the Ethernet drivers, deleted harmony files.
Reconfigured the link in rslinx and can see the plc (type and name shown properly) but the driver diagnostics still show the same...

If I go to 'station diagnosics' the it shows
Communication Status :ERROR "

In the driver diagnostics in the event log it shows commands sent received being increased but under the event log it still shows lines :
'Cant set port to 288: no Harmony object for this Ethernet"
As the last error line...

It's not a major problem because the application for the net-eni is so a scada system can talk to the plc for data values from the tables, which is working as of this morning.
More the fact that I'm wondering why it isn't working as it did back in the office where I could read the code direct from our test plc and go online, whereas here I can't

Deleted all the Ethernet drivers, deleted harmony files.
Reconfigured the link in rslinx and can see the plc (type and name shown properly) but the driver diagnostics still show the same...

If I go to 'station diagnosics' the it shows
Communication Status :ERROR "

In the driver diagnostics in the event log it shows commands sent received being increased but under the event log it still shows lines :
'Cant set port to 288: no Harmony object for this Ethernet"
As the last error line...

It's not a major problem because the application for the net-eni is so a scada system can talk to the plc for data values from the tables, which is working as of this morning.
More the fact that I'm wondering why it isn't working as it did back in the office where I could read the code direct from our test plc and go online, whereas here I can't

Is this a different PC than you used in the office? If so, perhaps you need to download an updated EDS for this computer.

Stu......

Same laptop as back at the office (and the onsitr machine does the same), though different plc. Test was with a 5/04 and site is a 5/03. But I can see the plc and upload/go online using serial so I assume rslinx knows all it needs to regardin the plc
(unless I misunderstand what EDC files are for, I'm assuming they are hardware identifying info that rslinx uses? )

Same laptop as back at the office (and the onsitr machine does the same), though different plc. Test was with a 5/04 and site is a 5/03. But I can see the plc and upload/go online using serial so I assume rslinx knows all it needs to regardin the plc
(unless I misunderstand what EDC files are for, I'm assuming they are hardware identifying info that rslinx uses? )

Just a thought, as I have run into similar issues where it works on one PC, but not another. I haven't used the NET-ENI Modules yet, but I have been looking at them to bring a bunch of MicroLogix PLCs onto the Network. Ken Roach would know better, he has much more experience and knowledge with these issues.

Stu.....

This is literally my department.

There might be something unusual on your particular machine or maybe you used a different Ethernet adapter back at the shop, or maybe there's something plain broken. The error doesn't show up anywhere that I can find.

So let's keep troubleshooting, if you're willing. You proved that basic communication works by using PING and HTTP, and you have proved that the basic functionality of EtherNet/IP encapsulation works because you are able to monitor the controller's data tables through the device.

I would try two steps next:

In the existing Ethernet Devices driver, append ":EIP" after the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI device. This skips the detection of CSPv4 (Port 2222) for that driver.

Next try using the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic and see if it gives the same results.

If you want to pursue this as an ordinary Rockwell Automation Technical Support service ticket, send me a PM on the Forum with your contact information and I'll get that set up.

Using the Ethernet/IP driver(AB_ETHIP) I can see the net-eni but it doesn't show the plc name/type like it did using the Ethernet devices driver (AB_ETH)

Putting ':EIP' on the end removed the reference to CSPv4 from the driver diagnostics event log but it still shows the 'can't set port to 288: no harmony object for this Ethernet' as the last line ( after the line saying 'device has accepted the Ethernet/IP connection')
And I can now use rs500 to do an upload and read the code from the plc, despite rslinx showing 'communication status:ERROR' under station diagnostics...!!!

So, the :EIP change worked and now rs500 can go online etc to the plc!

Im not sure why though :)

Thanks for the help and apologies if any responses weren't well formatted, all this is being done via my iPhone in rural Victoria on rather poor 2g Internet. :)