S7-1200 Datablock upload

MikeDawkins

Those of you who have used the S7-1200 in anger will have a list of all the short commings such as online edits, lack of profi bus/net I/O and datablock values uploading...... to name but a few.

Until Siemens release the next version, I spent a few hours with LibNoDave and C# to create a facility to upload / save / modify / download datablocks. It can also display live values by reading the block every second. Before uploading, the block size and number mus be known and it only works with the block created with symbolic access turned off.

The data structure can be replicated in a data view

The data directory has a sample uploaded datablock and a viewer template.

All you need in the plc is a valid datablock with absolute addressing enabled.

It is written with C# 2010 and Net 4. Feel free to experiment and modify as required, but DONT use on working systems until you are confident with it. It still has some rough edges which can be ironed out sometime if I get a chance.

Have fun. Mike.

I had a look at LibNoDave, but part of my brain melted.

OK, kind of a cheeky question. Is there any way You can use your knowledge to get the Free Advanced HMI to work with LibNoDave and Siemens PLCs.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=51758&highlight=free+hmi

I have just been screwed by my HMI supplier and really want to get so that I can be independent of the hardware supplier so that I can tell them where to shove their HMIs.

Bryan

Bryan,

I have not had a chance to play with the Advanced HMI yet, but it should be possible to create a comms driver for it. Maybe someone out there who has spent some time with it can provide more information.

The difficulty in writing comms drivers is to schedule the plc access in the most efficient manner. This is not an issue if all the data is in a single block, but if it is spread out over multiple regions, you have to have multiple accesses or read all the data and discard what you don't need.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the 'heads up' about the driver for the S7-200.

You are probably right to wonder about the S7-1200 compatibility, the S7-1200 seems to have more in common with the S7-300 and 400 than the S7-200. As standard it doesn't have a serial port but uses an ethernet port for profinet comms. Data is typically referenced by DB1.DBWxx rather than VWxxxx.

Bryan

Hi,

PeakHMI can communicate with the S7-1200 and I promise not to "screw" you. ;)

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

Hello,

> With Symbolic Addressing ?

No. AFAIK, the protocol does not support symbolic addressing. If you have a document that shows it can I am very interested in reading it and if I can, support for symbolic will be added.

Regards,

Mark

Bagoly

Perhaps you should start your own thread (Instead of a 2+ year old one). And provide more information.

Those of you who have used the S7-1200 in anger will have a list of all the short commings such as online edits, lack of profi bus/net I/O and datablock values uploading...... to name but a few.

AFAIK, there is snapshot and then copy block to excel that works as datablock values upload.
as of v2.0 downloads without going to STOP are possible... it not online edit, but it is a help.

đź“š