How to find tag in Factorytalk view studio

sparkish2000

How can I find the designated tag which is created in RSLOGIX5000 in Factorytalk view studio software? I want to know which screen uses this tag in HMI.o_O
Mitsubishi HMI can do that.(y)

Last edited:
You can try using the FTView "Application Documenter" or "Project Documenter" utilities. These might be installed in the FTView Tools folder, depending on your version.

FTView is NOT Mitsubishi, or WonderWare, or Citect, or any other HMI. It's roots and core functionality haven't changed since the first version of WinView 20 or more years ago.

That is just a contraction from "Wintelligent View", which was the old Icom->RSI HMI that ran on Windows 3.x I believe. IIRC, it was a 16 bit program. RSView32 came a couple of years later, when computers went to full 32 bit OS's.

I still know of a plant running WinView, we installed it in 1998. Total of four systems. Great product! All four are still running on their original Dell Optiplex computers.

HI guys, it is a little far away from topic, anyway I have found the "Application Documenter", that's a good tool, but I guess I have to print the whole FT view project document into PDF then I can search the tag that I want in the whole project, am I right? Or I can only search it in a certain graphic screen.

Select everything on the display using Ctrl + a, go to edit -> tag substitution. Type in the tag your looking for under "search for:" and type anything into "replace with:" and check the "confirm replacements" box. It will highlight any object referencing the tag and tell you the object name as well. Or you can export the display to xml, open in notepad and Ctrl + f it.

That works Steve, but only if you know where a specific tag is used. If it's used on multiple displays, or macro's, or trends, it is much easier to use the application documenter. If the tag is used as part of a parameterized tag, you are pretty much SOL no matter what. /sigh.

...Or I can only search it in a certain graphic screen.

It sounded like he knew where the tag was, just wanted to find where it was used in a particular display.

A tag cross reference definitely needs to be added, like the panelbuilders had. I think they are too busy fixing bugs to add new features.

I haven't seen the application documenter before, I'll have to see if I have it.