Damaged Master Disk RSView32

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have one RSView32 Works 1500 tag license that somehow was not listed in our tech support contract. The runtime license is fine and I was able to make some necessary edits under the grace period, so this is not urgent.

The license was never moved to a workstation, or not one that we've found, and the disk is apparently damaged now.

We weren't sure if we can get it replaced since we allowed our latest contract to omit that particular application. Apparently some years ago it got left off the contract before we started working here.

Anyway, since it's the weekend I thought I might get some input from some of the a/b guys on here. We're not sure if we have to pay a fee and roughly how big that fee might be to get this straightened out.

Thanks,
Paul

To clarify, you have the license on the hard drive but the floppy disk is bad so you don't have a way to move it?

Or, the license is on the floppy disk and the disk is bad so you can't get the license off?

We have a runtime license which is installed on a runtime PC and is working fine. We have installed the Works software on that machine as well, but not the license. Today, I needed to remove some objects from that machine and clean up some tag errors, so I was able to remote into the runtime PC, start the works software, and acknowledge the grace period warning, so I was able to get the job done. 7 days from now, that grace period will expire and we will have no means to run the works package, since the Master disk for it is damaged.

To the best of my knowledge, the works license disk had been used in the past as a temporary license for development on an engineering PC, but I believe the license was moved to a PC which has been taken out of service several years before I started here. We still have the old PC, and may try to fire it up to see if the license is still installed, but the master disk is no longer functioning as a temporary license.

Monday, we'll call in and find out if we can get the license replaced. My counterpart said that it isn't on our support contract and he thinks we are s.o.l. because of that fact. I believe that we can get something done about it, and perhaps might have to pay a fee, but I have no idea what that might cost, or if he is right and we are just out of luck and will have to purchase a support agreement for this one piece of software or pay for a new license...

There is no an obligation to renew support contract for a product, so there's no need to mention that you discontinued support (whether deliberate or not).

And I believe that providing you have supporting proof of purchase they will just treat it as a lost activation (one of hundreds) - and replace it.

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a replacement as long as you have the original master disk. RA can send a replacement disk but they will want the damaged one in return.

Off-hand chance that they will want to convert you to FT Activation.

OG

I agree with daba just call in to get it replaced. As long as you have the serial # which should be on the disk label they can look it up.

From my experience one package will not change your contract price or incur another fee but like daba said i would not offer info that is not needed.

Okie,

In the past, it was sometimes possible to temporarily activate the software by putting the used master disk into the machine and holding the "k" key down while the software boots up. This is a mostly undocumented "programmers trick" that has proved to be very valuable over the years.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

It's not that the works master disk is used, it's that it is corrupted...

I would do the "K" key first to attempt to get out of trouble, try the Internet Reset Second (I don't know if this is still supported), and then beg for a replacement third.

Bob A.