RSLogix V17

Killercal

Hey I have V17 on my computer and created a progam for a friend. He has V16 on his computer and it will take him 4hrs to get it upgraded (he's on-site right now). Is there a way to save the program in V17 in such a way that V16 would be able to open it?

Thanks in advanced.

***Edit, sorry this it RSLogix5000..

Last edited:
Hey I have V17 on my computer and created a progam for a friend. He has V16 on his computer and it will take him 4hrs to get it upgraded (he's on-site right now). Is there a way to save the program in V17 in such a way that V16 would be able to open it?

Thanks in advanced.

***Edit, sorry this it RSLogix5000..

Until someone with more specific knowledge jumps in, I will give you a couple of WAGs (Wild A$$ Guesses). I don't have lower Logix5000 Versions installed on my PC, but if you install them, you should be able to convert to that Version, and then save them. Also, I am sure you realize that the Logix5000 Version, and PLC Firmware Version have to match.

Another possibility is saving the File in L5K Format. I honestly don't know the purpose of the L5K File Extension. Hopefully, someone will jump in and tell us. I will look around for my Logix5000 Install CD, and see if I can install an older Version.

There is a thread I saw awhile back about how to do that.

Stu......

You will need to install V16 on your machine (load up your install disks and you should be able to select v16 install). Then change your V17 code to v16 (Go into controller properties - change controller - and you can choose between versions).

I suppose another idea would be to post your code - and some kind person with V16 & V17 installed will change it for you.

I assume (gosh, I hate that word) that you don't have V16 on YOUR computer? ...

if not, here's a trick that MIGHT help ... open the file in V17 and do a "File / Save As" operation – but change the "Save as type" setting to "L5K" before you do the save ... send the resulting L5K file to your buddy ...

when he tries to open the file with V16, he'll probably get an error message which will say something like: "2.6 expected in line 8" ... have him open the file with Microsoft Notepad and count down the number of lines mentioned (example: 8 lines) from the top of the file ... have him change whatever number he finds there to the "expected" number and then save the file ...

now try to open it with V16 ... if you're lucky (I prefer to say "blessed") then maybe the magic will happen ...

DISCLAIMER: this method does NOT always work – but it has come in handy for me several times in the past ... note that if you've used "fancy" stuff in the V17 program that V16 doesn't support, then you're probably not going to be happy with the results ...

Thanks to everyone that helped. I do have versions 13-17 installed on my computer but couldn't figure out how to convert it to V16. I tried to change it in the Controller settings, but no luck. My way around it was to create a new project with the same controller but just selected the V16. Next I copied all the tags from the V17 program into the V16 program, then the code. Luckly it was a small program, 100 rungs, because it would not copy all the rungs at once. (some messed up things were happening while copying and pasting). I do relize that the PLC controller would need to be flashed with the V16 firmware but it was just a test PLC anyways. We are just adding code to a processor that is runs nonstop and will create havoc if every falted out, so the test PLC is just to reassure that a fault will not happen.

If there is an easier way to convert a program, I would still like to know...or I guess I could just call tech support!

Thanks again!

The real answer to this is simple - you don't know ..... !!

As each new version is brought out, (which coincides with firmware updates in the controllers), new features may be added, bugs fixed, speed increased, etc., etc.

So if someone has written code in V17, they may have used something that V16 didn't have.

Most times, however, this is not the case, and rolling back a V17 to V16 using Ron's method is successfull. It's always worth a try.

The copy/paste method is OK, albeit a bit time consuming, but could suffer the same problem, you may be copying a V17 instruction, data-type, add-on definition etc., that V16 doesn't support. Back to square one.

Analogy - Ford built the Mustang with a huge lump of an engine. Can this be used in a Model-T ??

The real answer to this is simple - you don't know ..... !!

As each new version is brought out, (which coincides with firmware updates in the controllers), new features may be added, bugs fixed, speed increased, etc., etc.

So if someone has written code in V17, they may have used something that V16 didn't have.

Most times, however, this is not the case, and rolling back a V17 to V16 using Ron's method is successfull. It's always worth a try.

The copy/paste method is OK, albeit a bit time consuming, but could suffer the same problem, you may be copying a V17 instruction, data-type, add-on definition etc., that V16 doesn't support. Back to square one.

Analogy - Ford built the Mustang with a huge lump of an engine. Can this be used in a Model-T ??

Thanks for the answer. I understand why they upgrade versions. I was just looking for a quick fix to help out a co-worker who was stuck on-site and had no access to download V17. We just needed to put this code into a test processor before adding this logic into a customers running PLC.

well you can also send him a copy of the RS500 V17 downloaded from Rockwell and have him upgrade the version of his R5K. This way you wouldn't have to do any conversion on the Program.

We tried that, but the file was 1 gig, way too big for our email system. He only had access to email and no internet access.

What I would do....

Request the e-mail file size restriction lifted temporarily to allow you to send the file ... give them an explanation of the circumstances, if they don't comply, make a formal complaint to senior management.

Remember your IT people work for you, not vice-versa