Can I Star-Delta my motor

lalion

Hi, we are having problems with a motor on a tyre shredder that seems to be droping out, we have tried many things to find the cause but to no avail, I have a feeling it is the softstarter (a Powerboss) and plan to try to prove/disprove that its the softstarter by temporarily replacing with a star-delta. Im assuming I will need to run another set of leads out (as only 3 + Earth at present) but do I need to change terminal wiring in motor terminals, and a bigger question can any 3 phase motor be wired in star-delta??

thanks for any help, leon.

A three lead single voltage motor can not be connected star-delta because you don't have both ends of the three coils available in the junction box. The same is true of dual voltage nine lead motors.

You will need a six lead or twelve lead motor. You might already have that but probably not.

...and a bigger question can any 3 phase motor be wired in star-delta??
I can answer that one - No, not just any 3-phase motor. You need 12 leads coming out of the motor to get Star-Delta, but here in the US, a commonly used dual-voltage type only has 9 of the 12 leads brought to the outside (3 coils have one side connected together internally).

Do I need to change terminal wiring in motor terminals...?
Yes, you will need to reconfigure the motor leads.

Last edited:
Describe more about "motor dropping out" ie in first five second, five minute, or five hours.

Also tell us more about motor - give us all that trivial nameplate data - better yet send photo.

Reading between lines I think you are saying it is dropping out while in startup. Unless you have a whole bunch of big relays on the shelves star delta costs may add up to more than the cost of a soft start.

I wonder if a bypass relay on soft start may help problem. This would require careful evaluation especially since you seem to be concerned with starting current.

Dan Bentler