Communication between Micrologix 1400 and CompactLogix.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
This is a very basic question, excuse my ignorance.
I need to establish a communication between a control panel furnished with a CompactLogix and another control panel furnished with a Micrologix 1400. Each panel has an Ethernet switch.
How do I do it? Is it just interconnecting the Ethernet switches with a cable and using the MSG instruction in the ladder logic?

Thank you in advance!

yep, that´s all you need. Be careful about IP addresses, do not duplicate them.
Thank you!
So no need for an intermediary device between the Ethernet switches, right?
Could anybody point to any related documentation about this topic? I was unable to find something.

The best resource for MSG instruction examples and information is the ControlLogix General Instruction Set Reference, publication 1756-RM003. It is downloadable at no charge from the Rockwell Automation Literature website.

If the MSG instruction is in the CompactLogix, you can address Integer or Real data files within the MicroLogix 1400 in their native format, i.e. "N7:0" and address the equivalent Logix tags with ordinary tag names.

If the MSG instruction is in the MicroLogix, the process is a little more complicated because the MicroLogix does not understand ControlLogix-family tag names. You have to define one or more array tags in ControlLogix then "map" them to PLC/SLC/MicroLogix style data table numbers using the "Map PLC/SLC Data Table" feature.

There are no hardware gateways or other physical interface mechanisms required.