Rs500 vs rs5000

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear Friends,
Recently I have gotten my hands on RsLogix 5000 software and I’m at beginners level with this. I have used RsLogix 500 many times before. Question that I have about Rs5000 is everything named in tags as opposed to RS500 I have entered the I/O address and entered my description. How do I wrap my head around using tags. How different is the Software from Rs500?

Normally you would map a tag to a hardware address inside your program.

So a bit address b3:0/0 would become a functional name. If others more experienced than me would answer I'm sure there's some standard tag naming scheme that you could use.

Let's make sure about the 'I/O Addresses'. In RSLogix 5000 you set up the actual I/O structure in the 'I/O Configuration' part of the tree on the left hans side. Just like RSLogix 500 sets up 'I' and 'O' data tables RSLogix 5000 sets up tags beginning with 'Local;Slot:I (or O or C for control)'. These are the fixed I/O tags. You are free to make 'alias' tags which point to these.

By the way, for literature start with this:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm001_-en-e.pdf

It's a wrapper for pointers to other manuals. Start with I/O and Tags. Contine with 'Tasks, ...'

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
Recently I have gotten my hands on RsLogix 5000 software and I’m at beginners level with this. I have used RsLogix 500 many times before. Question that I have about Rs5000 is everything named in tags as opposed to RS500...

Yes, everything is tag-based

... I have entered the I/O address and entered my description. How do I wrap my head around using tags...

You do not enter I/O addresses - as Bernie says, you put each I/O module you want to use into the I/O Configuration section of the Controller Project Organisor, and the I/O tags are created automatically.

The format of these tags is {location}:{slot}:{data-type}

{location} for a module in the same chassis as the controller will always be called Local.

{slot} speaks for itself.

{data-type} will be :-

I for the data coming Into the controller (Input)
O for the data going out of the controller (Output)
C for the module Configuration data which is used to configure the I/O module operating characteristics.

...How different is the Software from Rs500?

Very similar in look and feel, but that will just get you comfortable using the software.

A good understanding of ControlLogix and the way it works is essential. It is a significantly different hardware platform, that shares and enhances a programming language background that you are familiar with.

There are quite a few things you need to forget from the SLC world when entering the Logix world, but don't let that put you off, the transition is relatively straightforward and painless.

Thanks for the replies. Bernie thank you for the link. If anyone else can point me in the right direction of where to start off please do.
Again thanks

Just think of Tags the same way you used symbols in RS500, I thing if you download examples from the literature library. you'll get it. I have found that I create tag names like Yoda because they are alphabetical.

When you open RSLogix5000, and you installed the Start Pages, you can find a lot of information here on how to start and get familiar with RSLogix5000. Lots of tutorials and video's. You have a Quick Start section with animated procedures on how to get started with your first project, a Learning section and a Resource section (online manuals/offline if you have them installed).

I myself was in your shoes recently going from bits and words to tags. Endure the first 8 hour's of wondering what's wrong with the bit address and excel bit table thing and you the next time you program using absoloute addressing you'll think you're back in the 90's.

How the heck did these old timers do it! lol!

i9Voh.jpg

That's how I do it.