Type of dc motor

mostafa65

Hello
I need to know what is the of DC motor used in Tube mill line
I mean by the type Is It series motor , shunt motor , or seprately excited .

thank you

Dear Nic00
Normally pipe mills those produces longitudely welded steel tubes .the line has three section forming , Sizing , and Finising . each section has one DC motor . each DC motor drive a set of rollers . the rollers define the shape , nd the size of the tube .

Last edited:
Do the motors have nameplates on them?
IF so send pictures and we can tell you then.

A common setup in steel mills with multiple motor rollers was ward leonard where generator output was connected to armature and independent voltage was supplied to shunt field. Motors were often shunt.

Sepex seems to me to be a nebulous term. All it means is the field is supplied from a different power supply. Could be done with series shunt or compound. It could be argued that permanent magnet DC is a sepex (field is independent of line voltage).

Dan Bentler

Not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish but most pipe mills use straight shunt DC motors.

Dan,

That is the exact setup we currently use albeit apart from a few 'upgrades' we have had over the past few years.

I worked for a pipe mill for 15 years and DC motors used overthere were shunt motors, we had a huge M-G set. After 15 years we replaced them with AC vector motors and drives controlled by compactlogix and devicenet.

I worked for a pipe mill for 15 years and DC motors used overthere were shunt motors, we had a huge M-G set. After 15 years we replaced them with AC vector motors and drives controlled by compactlogix and devicenet.

Well that just takes all the fun out of it. Don't you like brushes...:ROFLMAO:

Dan,

That is the exact setup we currently use albeit apart from a few 'upgrades' we have had over the past few years.

You are still using an MG set?! The pipe company I worked for took the last one of those out of comission 15 years ago.

You can pretty well eliminate permanent magnet and series wound motor. That leaves straight shunt, stab shunt and comp shunt.

If the machine ever operates in reverse, that will usually take stab shunt and comp shunt out of the running leaving straight shunt as mentioned above.

It should say on the nameplate tho. Why aren't you reading the nameplate for your answer? Are they gone?

How I know the type of DC motor

Dear all
Thank you very much for your replies . the type of motor is written in the nameplate . The nameplate contain data like speed, VA, Ia, VF, If , IP .
my question now is how i can know the type of Dc motor (sunt , series , sperately exited) using multimeter?, if it is possible ?

Yes, it is. Unless it's a permanent magnet motor.
Most likely, it's a bunch of hamsters in a wheel though.
How many hamster power did you say it was?

The most common ones are 1/2 to 10 Hampster power, but we do have one machine that has a 150 on it....you have to keep the wheel inside greased really well or they start slowing down. :ROFLMAO:

Dear all
i think all are wondering about my DC motors those still working until now . I said yes , the motors are still working in a good conditions , why I go to upgrade , I think they could work at least for the next five years .
thank you for all of you