1746NR RTD Module

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a quick question about configuring a 1746-NR RTD Module for SLC500 w/ 5/03 CPU. Everything on the system works fine, however, when I go to advanced configuration for this module it shows temp in "C" (input is displayed on HMI as "F" and I confirmed that it is indeed displaying temp in "F". Secondly, and more importantly, where it shows "broken input" it has "zero" selected. When I disconnect the "return" wire from the module (simulating a broken wire) if I understand this, it should be read as a "0" (with broken input set to "zero"), right? It doesn't, it reads "153.5" as the temp, not zero. This is desirable as I don't want my tanks of acid to continue to heat should I lose an RTD. So, does it not then matter that the advanced configurations are not set. By the way, there is also a "channel enable" in the upper-left corner of the advanced config box and it is not checked, but the device is working, even without enable being selected. Thank you much for the words of wisdom.

If this is anything like the thermocouple input cards I've used, you need to make sure the configuration is downloaded into the card correctly. When you ran the configuration, did it generate any new rungs/subroutines to load values into the OUTPUT table for the slot where the RTD card is?

Usually the config is set to load on the first scan, perhaps the PLC needs to be power cycled if that is the case?