Beijer IX

nettogrisen

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anybody tried the IX panels from Beijer Electronics?
Good/bad experiences?

I've toyed around with the new software and it seems amazing!
C# scripting, SQL connectivity, .net, killer graphics and it's very easy and windows-like. It really feels open, and with almost endless posibilities, but of course I havn't done any real projects with it, so I have yet to see it in action.

The only negative thing I can find is the large frame on the panels, like PV+. We have had costumers choose other panels over AB because of it's large ugly frame.

I used a Beijer several years back and it is something I do not wish to repeat. Comms was the biggest issue. Lack of support was the other.

Yeah, I've used Beijers E-panels years ago too, and didn't like them at all, but this new software is just cool!
Support is a major factor for me too. I suppose I'm a bit better off as I'm able to speak some swedish.

Beijer and I aren't best friends at the moment, an Order I placed in May has only just been delivered, so my comments may be coloured by this experience. The IX panels seem to be the same as their Exter panels and those have had good reviews. I have never had a problem with their support team, questions are answered reasonable quickly and they have a large range of PLC drivers.

The IX software gives the option to tell them where to stuff their hardware and to be hardware independent, but my reading is that you have to go to a full Windows system rather than a CE system.

From the time I have spent playing with the HMIs you can forget the Pro+ option, it is a waste of time. I tried the pdf reader with four pdf files, it failed to open 3 and rendered the fourth so slowly as to be useless. The only section I found useful was the one that allows you to use an AXIS camera.

So, hardware good, software good, support OK, management team all the way up to CEO - waste of space and should be replaced as soon as possible. I suppose I should add 'in my opinion' in order to keep the lawyers happy.

Bryan

I have used many versions of ther Beijers family (currently the e-range) from Mitsi.
I have also tried the small Ceazar (suppose you could call it a small scada package)this was brilliant, for a 1000 tag system only £1000 it had many features, so easy to use.
I have never had any problems or needed help from either Beijers or mitsi for any of the range & when I contacted Beijers regarding the Ceasar They phoned me back & were extremly helpful.
I have used many HMI systems inc. siemens, ab, omron etc. & I find beijers the better of all of them.

Is there anyone that has any clues around the hardware for iX-plattform? Is it rebranded or self developed? I have some clues that the hardware is rebranded and manufactured in asia. Does anyone has some idéas surrounding this?

Specs around the panels:

Display TFT-LCD. 640 x 480 pixels, 16.7 million colors (true color).
LED backlight
Screen size 10.4"
Active area of display, W x H 211.2 x 158.4 mm
Brightness (cd/m2) 450
View angle (H) / (V) 60/80/80/80 (U/D/R/L)
Back light lifetime 50,000 h
Touch screen operations 1 million finger touch operations
N/A N/A
LEDs 1 x blue
Frame material Powder-coated aluminum
Front foil Polyester Autotex F157 or F207
Front panel seal IP 65
Rear panel seal IP 20
N/A N/A
Processor 400 MHz ARM9
N/A N/A
Application memory 80 MB
External storage media 1 x SD card (optional)
Real time clock Yes (on chip)
N/A N/A
Power consumption at rated voltage Normal: 400 mA
Fuse Internal DC fuse, 2.0 AT, 5 x 20mm
Power supply +24 V DC (16-36 V DC), max 2 A.
CE: The power supply must conform with the requirements
according to IEC 60950 and IEC 61558-2-4.
UL and cUL: The power supply must conform with the requirements
for class II power supplies.
Operating temperature -10° C to +60° C
Storage temperature -20 to + 85° C (depending on display)
Relative operating humidity <95 % non-condensed
N/A N/A

I´ve been using iX for some time now (about 12 panels) and the new platform is great... Never seen anything like it...

If you know some C# you can do whatever you won’t with it, and it keeps getting better with each new version… Comparing to the old E-series, it’s like comparing a old cellphone from the 1990s (read WinCC Flex as well) and a new smartphone…

For example, ive done some advanced database handling in it, written a own webserver (with a CGI-part for returning reports from the database) and of course some basic control projects… so you can do whaterver you like/need with it...

Beijer has upgraded it's iX developer software and in the past our support was a small office in Chicago with 4 employees. We are now a much larger presence of 100 employees and support has improved greatly in the USA.

Beijer were in real trouble when Thailand got flooded - I had to wait ages for a sunlight readable screen. The factory apparently was virtually wiped out.
Apart from that so far so good.