AB remote i/o choice

Jeff23spl

Hello gang

i have one easy for you:

What would be the best cost effective remote i/o system to connect to a Controllogix CPU

I need to connect with ethernet optic fiber
20-30 AI
6-10 AO
16 24vdc DI

After a quick web search, i found 1734 series and 1794 without being able to select the best series ? and making sure both can be connected to my Controllogix

What would a skilled AB user choose to make this work ?
What other hardware i do need also to make it works ?(Rack, power supply etc)

Ok so 1794 is old and point i/o 1734 is the new stuff ?

optic fiber media between a contrologix and remote i/o

i was looking to use copper to fiber switch but if you have suggestion i may consider thems

Last edited:
Please, we like to call FLEX I/O "mature". :) FLEX was originally offered with RIO adapters in 1994 or so.

FLEX, or even 1756 series chassis-based I/O might be a better choice when you need a lot of analog points, or if you already have some of it installed.

I like POINT I/O a lot, and it excels in a mixed I/O environment where you need a low channel count in each location.

Selection Guides are what I usually use, but you might want to take the time to look at the A-B Integrated Architecture Builder utility. This software is a great way to generate bills of materials that include all the pieces and parts (terminal blocks, cordsets, etc) you need for a distributed I/O platform.

If you use POINT, take care with the mix of voltages and be sure you understand the role of the EP24DC and EPAC power distribution blocks and the 1734-FPD voltage isolator.

I'm sure you can't get fibre comms modules for point IO. I think you'd need some sort of media converter.

I THINK etaps do it. Although I have a hunch that they're only used for changing fibre arrangements.

Thanks Ken
OK "mature" ......is often use as THE Wise choice :)
Old fashion but...
Working Well and Stable....

I will take a look to that considering my Q of AI....

After more search, Point I/o seems more a bit like the ET200S of Siemens...The good solution for just few i/o on each panels....

Last edited:
Keep in mind that if you use ethernet based remote IO you will need to keep the RPI in mind.

RPI is Requested Packet Interval, in other words, how often the PLC and the remote component sync their data tables.

I ran into a problem where my scan cycle was faster then the RPI on a remote block and it caused problems. The machine was triggering an IAI Robocylinder controller to move using a ONS (One shot).

Since the scan cycle was faster then the RPI. The controller would randomly miss the start signal. Very annoying and hard to diagnosis.

Fixed it by using a timer to hold the signal on for 50ms.

Just keep that in mind when writing a program where the I/O is ethernet based.

Other then that, I am also a big fan of Point I/O. It is fairly cheap too!

ok i'm still on it (IT's a long delay project)

If i use Ethernet ip adapter on either point i/o of flex i/o, do i still need an i/o scanner on the contrologix rack or just ethernet port can scan my 3 remote i/o rack ?
I will check the price of both config but i found point i/0 a bit more complicated to configure than flex....

There is no per se scanner for ethernet I/O on rockwell products. It just connects to the ethernet port or the controller or a add on ethernet card such as a enbt or en2t.

Depending on how much ethernet I/O you have the built in port may not handle it.

How much I/O do you have?

"...or just ethernet port can scan my 3 remote i/o rack?"

Sorry hard to interpret. You mean do you need a dedicated io scanning card for your ControlLogix rack, or can your just use a ethernet card?

Snap the kid beat me.

Integrated architecture builder will do e/ip network validation.

Last edited:
Ok so a en2T module on my contrologix is fine ?

Another complication happend, the customer wants redundant plc...

Do any of you ever did a complete ethernet redundancy with 2 contrologix controler ? Can i do it with just 1 set of i/0 or i need to double it too ?
According to this, i need all in double:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/360807/1837516/tab6.html

Not sure of what this mean:
(Redundancy firmware revisions in each module)
I hope "module" here mean PLC ?
(Two additional ControlNet nodes outside the redundant chassis pair)
Can someone explan this one too ? IS it because we need to add controlnet module on each plc to have the redundancy works (both plc check availibility of the other on this connection )
I expect these modules to be installed in each plc rack but why saying "Outside ...chassis pair..." Is it just because the Cnet are reserved only for redundancy and i should not count them ?

1 set of IO. I will explain the system to the best of my knowledge

1 CLX as the master with a cn2R? (redundant channel cNet card) and redundancy fibre card

2 redundant chassis with a processor, control net card, and redundancy card.

The 2 redundant processors need to have redundant firmware in them. And you need series C (I think) cn2R cards to support redundancy.