1769-of4

shoelesscraig

In setting up and programming my first Compactlogix system, I decided to use a 1769-of4 analog output module. When I was setting up the IO tree, I noticed that this module was not an option. After reading the module's instruction manual, I added it as a "generic" module. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will work fine.

My question is this: Is there something that I can download that will add this module to the "add on profile" so that it is an option to choose from? I even have the latest and greatest V18 and still I have to add it as a generic...? No big deal, just wondering.

Thanks for the responses guys. As I said in the first post, I'm using version 18 for this project (but I have everything back through 10 installed on my PC).

Yeah, I missed the part where you stated that. Yes after dong some test myself and according to the 1769-OF4 manual, if you want to use this module with CompactLogix, you will have to enter it as a generic module. Under uL 1500, it does have it listed. I guess under CompactLogix, they want you to use a OF4CI or OF8 instead.

Am I missing something here?

I have a CompactLogix program (firmware 13) with a 1769-OF4CI module configured. There is also a 1769-OF4VI module available in the configuration pick list.

I never realized that there was just an OF4. I've always used the Of4CI.

I guess you learn something new every day...

Ok, sorry to bring this back up, but I'm having a couple of issues with this card.

First, I configured the card EXACTLY like the user manual says to do. I configured it as "GENERIC" card and set up the input, output, and configuration files as it said to, but I'm getting something weird....The input and output words are supposed to be 5 words long each. I get that with no problem. The configuration word is supposed to be 32 words long, and even though I enter , it still comes out 120ish words long. I have no idea why. I've tried deleting the module and starting over, no change.

Also, I downloaded my program the other day and got everything up and running (even though the configuration for the OF4 was 120ish words) and everything seemed to work great. I set up each channel for 4-20mA and enabled the channels. I did this by going into the tag monitor and going to the configuration file for that module and changing the corresponding bits to a "1" manually. As I understood it, this was what I have to do since there is no "configuration" tab for the "generic" module.

It seemed to work great. I set up a test load on the bench with my meter in series and was getting 4-20mA output with no problems. I saved everything and put it up over the weekend.

I come back yesterday, plug it up and try to go online and the processor starts in "program" mode with the "i/o" not responding flashing at the top. The OF4 had the yellow triangle on it in the tree. When I right clicked and went to properties, it say that there was an invalid configuration parameter entered. So, I went to the configuration word and checked. Everything was exactly as I left it, but it wouldn't work. I ended up having to clear all the configuration bits back to zero and then set them back again. Then it started working fine again...o_O

I'm confused. I am NOT altering the configuration bits in the ladder logic. Should I be?

I've never had the pleasure of using this module but the manual seems to indicate that the extended error code should tell you exacly what configuration value it is not happy with. Do you recall what the extended error code was? Granted, that doesn't explain why it wans happy then suddenly wasn't. But it may tell us what you need to do to keep it happy even though you shouldn't need to do anything.

Keith

I don't remember exactly what the extended error code was, but I did look it up when it happened and I remember that it wasn't much help.

But, on another note, I powered the rack up today and went online with no problems....??? Not sure what the deal was, b/c again, I haven't changed a thing. Oh well. Thanks anyways.