camstudio

VJTX

has anyone tried recording the computer screen on RSLOGIX 500 to catch a malfunction? I was thinking of using camstudio to record the custom data monitor.

Camstudio is a great program and much like its paid big brother camtasia studio. I have and use both for different purposes.

Just FYI anyone who is familiar with snagit from techsmith the makes of camtasia studio the older version ( 2 Major revs back )is free. It is good for advanded screen shots and getting images or pieces of images for documents ,HMI Graphics and such

Here is the FTP link for the download if anyone is interested.

ftp://ftp.techsmith.com/pub/products/snagit/enu/725/

🍻

I used it to record a histogram on the screen in Logix5 last week and it recorded an intermittent problem that I was missing. The problem is now corrected.

It records the screen or window you set up. I set up a watch window (custom data monitor in rslogix)and set up my inputs, outputs, bits and timers. Then I started recording about the time the problem occurred. Since the bits change too fast to really watch, you can play back the capture later and look at it frame by frame. Found my problem too!

I would use this with one thing in mind. Screen updates do not reflect your realtime io updates. There is a delay, and also the chance that the changes wont show up at all.

But I can see the usefulness of it.

I would use this with one thing in mind. Screen updates do not reflect your realtime io updates. There is a delay, and also the chance that the changes wont show up at all.

True but it can help to get the problem down to a general area and then you can set traps in the logic that have no time delay. The traps will in a sense record the problem.

For my situation, I was able to place the histogram under the alarm latch rung and record. When I came back later and noticed the alarm latch had activated I stopped recording and reviewed the video and was able to see the signal relationship at the time the alarm latch tripped. It's just a convenient way to troubleshoot without wasting your day watching the code for intermittent false alarms.

I 100% agree with that. I plan to use it to record how to do standard procedure stuff (open, go online, search...)in logix software by making videos that can be reviewed by our maintenance guys. I hope it will reduce my need to reteach as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom