G304K Problem

plcisgreat

I was downloading a program, and i have an error code. (unexpected reply 2.16.2). The screen is now continously cycling on then off with the logo., and a beep.

I used a usb to serial converter, and have not had any problems up to this point.

I presume we're talking Red Lion HMI, right ?

While I don't know about the 304, on a 308(?) if you hold down, something like the 1st and 4th buttons while powering it on, you'll get a reset menu. Perhaps the 304 is the same.

The G304K doesn't have dedicated buttons, touchscreen only.

I have a G306A that I got stuck in a constant reboot cycle, but after about the third time it rebooted, it detected it had a bad application and went to a firmware update screen. So, I was able to Undo a few steps in my Crimson 3.0 software to remove the bad code I had put into the thing, and then perform a download and get it going again.

I would suggest creating a simple dummy application and perform a download, and hopefully it will download the firmware and all, and get you going.

If you can't unbrick it, get ahold of the Red Lion guys. They will probably want you to email them a copy of the application that caused the problem, and may be able to guide you to a solution over the phone.

I have been able to recover the G3 series by carefully timing a download over the prg port (rs232 serial port). It's not easy to catch, but as it boots, if you hit the download button often times it will take a fresh download. I would use a simple application program and add complexity from there, until you hit the code that caused failure.

My code was very basic, but its possible, i guess. It acts just as you said with the G306K.A constant reboot cycle.
Did you have an error com message?
I will try downloading a dummy simple application.
This is not a re-occuring problem?

Hello,

Are you using Crimson 2 or Crimson 3?
When you flip up the two dip switches and reset the unit does it show a message asking you to clear the database?

Thanks
Jeremy

If you are using Crimson 3 please try to download while the reset screen is showing. Once this downloads you should be able to go back to Crimson 3

Thanks
Jeremy

I'm having the same problem.
Are there any plans to fix this problem?!
It appears to be a known bug for at least 5 years.
Granted, I could have some bad code, but a graceful exit would be nice. Also, touching the LEFT side of the screen to clear the database apparently doesn't; the G304K still does it's endless reboot thing.
Crimson 3 doesn't tell me what I've done wrong either. I'm downloading the latest version hoping for improvements....
Are there updates to the Kadet firmware that I could flash?
Has anybody ever figured out a workable, reliable solution?

I think the trick is to keep trying (to download) until you get lucky and catch the reset process at the right moment to begin receiving the file. I also suggest reverting to a known good program, or a dummy program, so that you know it isn't something in your application that will send it right back into the "epileptic state".

I have heard someone say it took 12 tries, before he "got in", but that is better than returning it for replacement.

I did brick one G304K, right off the bat when Crimson 3.0 first went official there was an unrecoverable firmware problem. My distributor brought me a new one at noon the next day, so make sure to call Red Lion and let them know your issue. You will get good responses from them via phone calls and emails. Let them know exactly what build of Crimson 3.0 you're using as well. Post that info here, too, and/or use the forum Search (not the Google one, but the original Search) for my name and G304 and I bet there is a thread with specifics.

Paul

Last edited:
UPDATE:
OkiePC -
It was easy enough to catch it at the right time to get a download started, but at some point even that would error out. idk
I just went and got the latest build of Crimson 3. That seems to have solved my problems. At the beginning of the download, there was a message about resetting or clearing something or other. I don't remember what it was but I don't recall it being there before. Something new in the new build perhaps.
Regardless, it's working for now. :D
The new build does not, however, give any indication of what is wrong with my database. I removed some of my latest "improvements" and that may have helped.
Onward and Upward!

I have a G306A that is currently having a similar issue. Instead of constant rebooting it is just stuck on a default screen with a flashing red light.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have a G306A that is currently having a similar issue. Instead of constant rebooting it is just stuck on a default screen with a flashing red light.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

If the display is stuck at the G3 logo it will need to be returned for repair.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy. I just spoke with Dan in your tech support department and he linked me the .bat and .bin files for flashing the boot sector. Thank you for the response though =)