Scan time

KNXraj

In Yaskawa MP920 it is written as below.
Scan time:
CPU01:0.6 to1.4msec/1K steps
CPU02: 0.5 to1.1msec/1K steps
What is the meaning of 1 ksteps? Is it 1k rungs or 1k instructions? That is 0.6msec/ 1k instructions or 0.6msec/1k rungs?
Can anyone help?

Last edited:
it is 0.6 ms per 1000 instructions as instructions do vary in complexity this time is from 0.6 to 1.4 ms.
However only after wrting complete program and test it in real situation without simulation you can find out real scan time.
input scanning and output setting aswel communication is taking time.
communication is done on interrupt base and this means realtime is not good anymore.

KNXraj:

Shooter's explanation is absolutely correct. Moreover, there is no chart with instruction execution time for MP900 series. However, there is such a chart for the older MP9200 (you can get it from your Yaskawa support rep.) It gives you an idea of the "order of magnitude", i.e. how much one instruction execution compares to another (say, an INC instruction is faster than "+ 1").

I do a lot of projects with Yaskawas and tend to like this powerful PLC - not just for its motion control capabilities (this is Yaskawa, after all), but also for its powerful set of logic instructions. This is so even as I am aware of its shorcomings - awkward programming software and documentation written in "Jenglish" first and foremost. So feel free to ask questions on this forum.

I usually set my scan time initially as follows: 3 ms for high-scan and 15 ms for low-scan. In most cases this works just fine. Note that on a brand-new clean CPU, the times are set 30 and 300 ms respectively. This is way too much! Since the communications window happens at the end of each low-scan cycle, you will notice that you are very slow when online. Change these values immediately. On the other hand, if you set them too low, you will not be able to communicate with the CPU at all - not even to switch from RUN to STOP mode. If this happens, flip RUN DIP switch on the front of the CPU and cycle the power, then set your scan times higher.
In reality, I was never able to set the high-scan time lower than 2 ms (and the low-scan is recommended to be set as a multiple of the former).

Be careful when you program FOR-NEXT or WHILE-WEND loops: when crunching a lot of instructions, they can increase the scan time significantly...

If your company is in Chicago area, I might even be able to give some help in person :)

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for your replies regarding MP920 scan time....

I am interested to learn Motion control products also,,,,
Is there any forum/websites like this for General Motion Control ???
Can someone give me the link ???

Thanks
knxraj