DF1 RS - Micrologix 1500 - Problem

juanmdx

Hi,

I've a problem establishing communication with a Micrlogix 1500.
On the 8-MiniDin port, there is a ProFace Panel Connected, and if I unplug it, I can stablish communication (on RSLinx I add a DF1 device and select the autoconfigure button and it succeeds).

But I would like to stablish communication on the serial port (on the left side of the MicroLogix), but I start the RSLinx (I delete the previous device) and start another DF1, but the autoconfigure never sees the device, and I can't manually start it.

Can someone help me please?, if you guys need more info I can give it, but I think this is enough.

Thanks and best regards.

Hi,

I've a problem establishing communication with a Micrlogix 1500.
On the 8-MiniDin port, there is a ProFace Panel Connected, and if I unplug it, I can stablish communication (on RSLinx I add a DF1 device and select the autoconfigure button and it succeeds).

But I would like to stablish communication on the serial port (on the left side of the MicroLogix), but I start the RSLinx (I delete the previous device) and start another DF1, but the autoconfigure never sees the device, and I can't manually start it.

Can someone help me please?, if you guys need more info I can give it, but I think this is enough.

Thanks and best regards.

If you have an Offline copy of the PLC Program, check the Channel Configuration for that Port. It may have a non standard setup on it for some reason. The best thing would be to post the RSS File (Zip it first), if you can't do that, a Screen Shot of each of the Channel Configuration Tabs would help.

Stu.....

Here I attach it (zipped)

Another thing, is there a way to compare two RSS files (the rung logic, inputs outputs, etc.)

Thanks

Another thing, is there a way to compare two RSS files (the rung logic, inputs outputs, etc.)

Thanks

Both ports are set-up exactly the same. Check the cable you are using for that side port. It should be a null-modem cable. (see pdf below for the cable pin-out 1747-CP3)

To compare two different programs open RsLogix then click on tools then click on compare.

I'm using my USB port, with a USB-Serial adapter (9300USBS bought from AB) and with this I'm trying to connect to the side port.

When I connect through the 8MiniDin, I just add (connect) to my serial cable a Serial-8MiniDin adapter (1761CBLPM02 - also another cable bought from AB).

Should I use some other cable?

Thanks

Both your Channels are setup for DF1 38400 Baud. So, you should be able to connect to them with a DF1 AutoConfigure. The other possibility is some of the new Micrologix PLCs have a deeper Serial Socket, and the original Serial Cables we were using don't seat properly in them. I haven't worked on a 1500 yet, so I don't know if that is the case here. It would be a good idea to refer to the User Manual. It is 1764-UM001-EN-P, and on page 4-10 it shows a different Cable for Port 1.

Stu....

Thought... I use a 1746 UIC cable if my head is working. I have to go to my control panel, device manager, hardware, serial ports, and see what port the USB adapter says its is. Then I have to go into linx and change the port to what the conrtol panel said it was.... If it was the same as configured I have to change to any other port, confirm, get a failed message, change back to the port I know is correct, and then all is well.

Last edited:
I'm using my USB port, with a USB-Serial adapter (9300USBS bought from AB) and with this I'm trying to connect to the side port.

When I connect through the 8MiniDin, I just add (connect) to my serial cable a Serial-8MiniDin adapter (1761CBLPM02 - also another cable bought from AB).

Should I use some other cable?

Yes see my post above. You will need a null-modem cable on the end of your USB to serial adapter to connect to the RS232 ( 9-pin port ) on the ML1500.

Yes see my post above. You will need a null-modem cable on the end of your USB to serial adapter to connect to the RS232 ( 9-pin port ) on the ML1500.

Mickey:

I don't think the 1500 has a 9 Pin Port. The Manual shows those Mini-Dins that the MicroLogix Controllers all seem to have.

Stu......

It does see picture below

Hmmm, I guess it does, thank you for the correction Mickey. Does it depend on how the 1500 is configured?

The other thing I wonder about is both Ports have a Source ID of 1, which I assume is the Address. I wonder if that is screwing things up when you try to run both Ports simultaneously.

Stu.....

The MicroLogix 1500 model 1764-LSP has just the round 8-pin Mini-DIN port as Channel 0, built into the wiring base.

The MicroLogix 1500 model 1764-LRP has the same Channel 0 and also has a Channel 1 port, the 9-pin DB9 male, on the controller itself.

As Mickey noted, both are DTE type ports, so you need a 1761-CBL-PM02 or equivalent to connect to Channel 0, and you need a 1747-CP3/1756-CP3 or equivalent to connect to Channel 1. Both of these cables are "null modem" cables.

The MicroLogix 1500 model 1764-LSP has just the round 8-pin Mini-DIN port as Channel 0, built into the wiring base.

The MicroLogix 1500 model 1764-LRP has the same Channel 0 and also has a Channel 1 port, the 9-pin DB9 male, on the controller itself.

As Mickey noted, both are DTE type ports, so you need a 1761-CBL-PM02 or equivalent to connect to Channel 0, and you need a 1747-CP3/1756-CP3 or equivalent to connect to Channel 1. Both of these cables are "null modem" cables.

Good evening Ken, I was wondering when you would chime in.:geek:

Will it work ok with the Source ID for both Ports set to 1. I presume the Source ID is actually the Address, am I correct?

Stu.....

Stu.....