Micrologix 1400 ethernet communication

rrparker07

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've worked a fair amount with stand alone PLCs, but zippo with networks. We have a new piece of machinery in the plant that runs off an ML1400 and a panelview plus running through an ethernet bridge. The conveying for this machine was done by a different company but also running a ML1400. I have configured the IP address and subnet for the conveying to match and when plugged into the bridge I can see everything in Linx.

My problem is I need to fault the machine if it tries to run when a certain conveyor is not running. What do I have to do to get ML#1 to read a bit or word from ML#2 ?????

Thanks in advance,
Roy

You need to look into the MSG instruction to do what you want.
The KB number that explains in detail is 32926.
I have attached a screen shot of a MSG instruction I just setup [untested] that should help you get going.
This MSG is programed into ML#1 to read N7:0 in ML#2 and place the data into ML#1 N7:0. You would then use this to start and stop your machine based on your conveyor conditions.
Another option would be that you could program a MSG to write data from ML#2 into ML#1 when the conveyor isn't running instead of doing the read in ML#1.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses.

I ran into two problems. First, I couldn't quite make out the routing information file box on the screen shot Bob posted, so I wasn't sure what to put there. Secondly, when I verified the rung I got error message "operand not entered" and also the error for invalid routing file.

What is in the routing information file box is RI10:0 its a routing information data
type file. See picture below

RIFile.jpg

Thanks Mickey,

That got rid of my errors. One other question for you: Can I use the message instruction unconditionally and use bit conditions to change the data its writing, or does it not work that quickly? Is it better to have separate messages for separate bit conditions? The reason I ask is I pretty much need this message to perform fairly quickly and in the manual it was referring to 5 second message timeouts. These are two very simple programs I'm dealing with and didn't know how scan times were affected by this.

Thanks,
Roy

msg instruction

hey guyz..I am using the msg instruction for the first time...I have an application where I want to read inputs from ml1400A and use the status of those inputs in my main program that is to be written in another ml1400B and also write outputs to ml1400a..both PLCs are communicating via ethernet..now what I have done is I have moved two input words(I:0.0 &I:0.1) into n7:0 and n7:1 in ml1400A program and I am reading these words in ml1400B via message instruction..I can successfully move those input words in n7 in ml1400A but I get nothing in ml1400B....please guide me where I m going wrong..any kind of help will be greatly appreciated..