O.T. Computer virus in Iran targets PLCs

Technology reporters are notorious for oversimplifying things, or trying to make something more scary than it is. The linked article is one of the poorer ones on detail, and oversimplifies the issue.

The truth is far more interesting than the general-market reporting. The impression that this was a SCADA attack only has been overtaken by events and the discovery of injected code in the controllers themselves.

The ongoing research work on Stuxnet is very interesting stuff. One of the independent German researchers is publishing his work:

http://www.langner.com/en/index.htm

...from Kens' langner.com link...

Stuxnet Step7 injected into OB35
Code:
UC FC1874
POP
L DW#16#DEADF007
==D
BEC
L DW#16#0
L DW#16#0

I've just infected our network at work with Stuxnet....perhaps it'll tidy up my CIP sequences for me.....

I'll start by saying that 100% of my experience with nuclear power is with pressurized water power plants. Given that, the components shown in that HMI have absolutely zero resemblance to any power plant I've operated or maintained.

'nuther link that popped up today on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20...demalwarespurstheoriesonnewcyberwarthreat5158

The Stuxnet computer worm spreads through previously unknown holes in Microsoft’s Windows operating system and then looks for a type of software made by Siemens and used to control industrial components, including valves and brakes. Stuxnet can hide itself, wait for certain conditions and give new orders to the components that reverse what they would normally do, the experts said. The commands are so specific that they appear aimed at an industrial sector, but officials do not know which one or what the affected equipment would do.

I find this interesting. I think it is easy to infect PC based Scada systems. Windoze is a virus magnet. Infecting the scada systems so that they down code to a PLC is something else. This requires knowledge of which scada system and PLC is being used. Frankly, if Siemens gets a black eye for having easy to infect software then good. I know that Rockwell and Delta Computer Systems can't and wouldn't sell stuff to Iran and it pi$$e$ me off that Siemens would.

However, I don't think this was caused by a state or anything so sinister. It is probably a bunch of black hat hackers that are taking advantage of a situation. If I were to write the worm it would have done nothing until the reactors started and created enough power to damage the core. It is possible to create enough damage so that the reactors are not usable without causing any or little external damage.

I still think this is all media hype and their facts are all wrong. I can only wish that our NSA or CIA was half as smart to do these kinds of things but if they can then I think they blew it by not waiting until the reactors started. If so then what incompetent idiots. Oh yeah the same one that protected us from 9/11. FAIL.