Virtual Machine

blima

Hi!

On my laptop I have Windows Vista, I had to install a virtual machine in order to install MicroWin Siemens.

The problem is that with Virtual PC 2007, I can not access the USB ports. There is another software that I can use? Can I import files from my existing virtual machine to this new software?

Thanks,
Bruno

VMWare Player or Server. Their both free. I fyou need more features, VMWare Workstation 7.1 is excellent. All the products handle USB devices very well.

May laptop runs Vista and I have no problem running MicroWin 4.0.7.10. If I do need a VM I tend to go for Virtualbox, the price is right and it easily runs all versions of Windows from XP onwards. It will run earlier versions but you can't install Guest-tools.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I have programmed Twido PLCs and Mangelis HMI without any problem from Windws XP installed on VirtualBox. Both MicroWin and Step 7 Lite run greatly as well on VirtualBox.
I find VirtualBox more user friendly and simple than Vmware.

I'm running Windows 7(64 bit, 8 G Ram) and VMware Workstation.
Seimens s7, PILZ PAS4000, Twido, Citect, iFix all happily running in their own virtual xp machines. Each VM has between 1 & 2 G Ram the system tend sto slow down if I run too many VM's at once though. I also keep a Virtual machine of my previous laptop just in case).And ubuntu 10.04 for my personal stuff (finally managed to get ubuntu vm online !)

Goody!! I love the VM questions! VirtualBox has been a really popular option around here. But VMware is kind of the gold standard for VMs.

With VMware Workstation you can create a virtual machine and in that VM you can install pretty much any O/S. Workstation is about US$160 - $180 but they offer a fully functional 30-day trial. At the end of the 30 days you can request another key. I used it for about 6 months this way before actually deciding to buy it. The free VMware Player allows you to run a virtual machine just like Workstation but you cannot actually create a VM with player.

I often run two virtual machines simultaneously and typically have them on separate monitors.

OG

Actually, with version 7 of VMWare Player you CAN create VMs. You still can't create snapshots though. Snapshots are a great feature when testing software.

Goody!! I love the VM questions! VirtualBox has been a really popular option around here. But VMware is kind of the gold standard for VMs.

With VMware Workstation you can create a virtual machine and in that VM you can install pretty much any O/S. Workstation is about US$160 - $180 but they offer a fully functional 30-day trial. At the end of the 30 days you can request another key. I used it for about 6 months this way before actually deciding to buy it. The free VMware Player allows you to run a virtual machine just like Workstation but you cannot actually create a VM with player.

I often run two virtual machines simultaneously and typically have them on separate monitors.

OG
I prefer to run multiple machine on the same monitor and use the "next powered machine" button to swap between machines, I keep forgetting where my keyboard focus otherwise and manage to write all sorts of cr%p in the wrong machine.