Why couldn't I use address 116?

S7PP

I'm doing Hardware configuration on Step 7, S-300, 315-2PN/DP. Insert couple of DI, DO AI and AO module. When I assign them address, I assigned AI1 with 100 to 115, then I tried to give 116 to AI2, but the system doesn't let me, only want me assign 128. I don't have any other module using address from 116 and I checked Address Overview, the 116 to 143 is a gap.

Why is that happening? So wired.

The 315 has a process image of 128 bytes. You are attempting to set the address of the second analogue card so that it straddles the process image and the peripheral area. The h/w config will not permit this.

Last edited:
OH, I see. I didn't realize that. Is that means that I have use PIB/PIW or PQW to access the I/O address above 128 bytes? Is it make the cycle time slower?

Thanks a lot L D.

It is recommended that analog signals are out of process image area. You should address all your analog starting from 128. Yes then you need to use PIW/PQW.

I would recommend the opposite. I would stretch Process Image to 2K In and Out and then all the I/O is scanned at the same time. You can still use PI/PQ commands for quick stuff. Easier to force and will execute more stable scan times.

This is what is done for PCS7 by default. A nice byproduct of this is it allows you to cluster addresses by area or racks.
Rack 1 I/Q 100~199, Rack 2 200~299, MCC's 500 etc

Nick

It is recommended that analog signals are out of process image area. You should address all your analog starting from 128. Yes then you need to use PIW/PQW.

OH really? I thought adccess PI/PQ is slower than directly access I/O, when you say "You can still use PI/PQ commands for quick stuff." doesn't mean it is quicker, right?

Well I guess it will be neat than use half half.

thanks a lot.

Check hardware manager. It's been a while but I think V2.7 (don't quote me on this) or better.

I'm not running Step 7 on this box and don't have my VM image with me but will check later.

I think he means the peripheral area. He might want to use PI/PQ for all the IOs.

Maybe it's better than use some of I/Q and some of PI/PQ, because the scan time is very different.

Nick you are right, 315PN/DP lets you adjust p image size, but i would still rather use analog in peripheral area. Its 300 series cpu afterall.

You will slow down CPU a little in the beginning by scanning all the I/O but then you will not be doing any immediate reads/writes in mid scan. Read/Writes to I/Q are like working in M area and the stuff gets updated to real world and back during service break at end of scan.

I have had good real world results with this. On large projects.

Nick